XIX

─────∘◦ ✾ ◦∘─────

─────∘◦ ✾ ◦∘─────

I opened my eyes, the familiar pale yellow ceiling greeted me. I groaned when I felt my head throb. But then I realized that I don't have such extravagant ceilings. Only then that I recalled what happened last night.

I quickly touched my belly to make sure that my baby is still inside. I heave a sigh of relief as I gently rub my big tummy.

He's still here, my baby...

My mood lightened up as I rub my tummy and I started to hum. It's something that I don't usually do, maybe it's because of my pregnancy.

Suddenly, the door of my room burst open.

"M-Madame!"

It was Jennie, her eyes were trembling as tears started to form in her eyes.

"It's good to see you, Jennie." I smiled at her. But she didn't smile back instead she finally started sobbing.

"How can you smile at me like that when you suddenly left the Duchy without informing me! Not only that! You were heavy with a child! You should've taken me with you so I can take care of you and the baby!"

Her sobbing became louder and it makes me feel bad.

"I'm sorry, but I can't just take you with me. I know that you're supporting your family, I don't want to be a burden for you as well."

"Even so! I want to take care of the lady..."

I sighed, I got up from the bed and walk towards her. She was rather confused when I got close to her. But I only smile at her and then I hugged her.

"My lady..."

"I'm truly sorry for not thinking of what you'd feel when I left. I thought that you'll have nothing if you come with me, I am nothing but a commoner so what is the point of dragging someone with me? That is why I chose to leave the Duchy by myself."

She sobbed as she hugged me back.

"I thought that His Grace had already divorced you that's why you suddenly left."

"He didn't?"

"He did not My Lady, but rumors circulated the whole capital that My Lady and His Grace are preparing for a divorce. Don't you know how miserable the whole Duchy is the moment you left? Especially Young Master Calix and The Duke."

"Why? What happened?"

"Young Master Calix attempted to look for you, so he ran away from the Duchy. This made the Duke a little bit furious so he forbid the Young Master to step out of his room. The Duke, can't sleep at night. He even had to contact a priest in the middle of the night to cast a divine spell on him so he could sleep even if it was just an hour."