XXVIII

"Welcome, walk closer and let me see the both--"

The Empress's eyes landed on the child between Regan and me. Her eyes were wide open and she suddenly gasped.

"Y-Your Majesty... Empress Ramona?"

Because of her sudden change of expression which she's directing to Calix, the child immediately went behind me and hide himself.

"That child... There's no doubt that he is Her Majesty's son." The Empress muttered but we heard it from our distance.

She stood up while supporting her huge belly at the same time. Slowly, she walked toward us and stopped in front of me.

"Isn't he?" The Empress said as her eyes tear up.

"His hair, that he inherited from Her Majesty and his eyes that he got from His Majesty, he is definitely the son that Empress Ramona had lost."

"He is now part of Bizeviron, Your Majesty."

The Empress turns her head to Regan. "Is he the one you adopted?" He nodded.

"That can't be... This child will be our Empire's future sun!" the gap between her eyebrows knotted and her eyes became fierce as she looks at us.

"If you continued to take Calix, you know that he'll face a life of endless threats and assassinations."

It seems like the Empress realized it. I know too well that Empress Teyla greatly treasures Empress Ramona, she once declined the Emperor because she thinks that it is not right to take his hand because he is the husband of her late mistress.

But in the end, she became the Empress and the side of the Grand Duke doesn't like it.

"B-But... He is Empress'..."

"We'll have plans for that Aunt, so don't worry." The expression of the Empress softened at Regan's words. She smiled at me before looking at my belly.

"Looks like our due date is just around the corner?" She giggled and lead us to sit. The talk of the late Empress has been forgotten at this point.

"If it's alright that I want the boy to sit beside me?" She requested, we looked at Calix and he seems like he was cautious of the Empress.

I gently held his hands before smiling at him. "It's alright sweetheart, the Empress just wanted to play with you." His eyes gleamed and then he move beside the Empress.

"Oh my, what a handsome young man."

She caressed Calix's hair...

"That's right, Duchess, when will you give birth?"

"I'm due on the early days of winter."

"Oh! I see, I'm due in a few days. You see that this is my first child. I hope that it's a daughter so that..."

So that her child doesn't need to compete for the throne, unfortunately, she's heavy with a son, in the novel her son became the Emperor and Empress Teyla never encountered Calix as well.

There will be no competition over the throne because Calix became the Duke of Bizeviron and Derrick died because of the rebellion he lead. But it seems like the future holds a different ending for Calix, now that the Empress knows about his existence.

"I pray that you'll have a smooth and safe labor Your Majesty." she smiled at me before responding "I wish for the Duchess to have a safe labor as well..."

It was peaceful talking with the Empress, she pays a lot of attention to Calix and she looks at him with love in her eyes. Truly she cares for the late Empress' son.

"Your Majesty, Her Highness the Crown Princess is here to see you." the head main informed us, my eyes widened and I looked at  Regan. Princess Calixia looks exactly the same as Calix, if she saw him, she'll definitely...

"Let her in."

I felt my hands sweat and turn cold, it feels as if my blood is leaving my body.

Just like Calix, the princess has Ash hair and the Imperial family's indigo eyes.

"I'm here to have my morning greetings to Her Majesty the Moon of the Empire."

Her voice was calm, firm and cold. You can't even feel an ounce of emotion in her voice. It sounds nothing close to a 14 years old girl.

"Thank you princess, now do you want to join us?"

She raised her head and look at the Empress before responding.

"I'm afraid that I must take my leave for my bridal lessons."

Before she can turn around, her eyes wandered to the Empress' side where Calix is.

The eyes that doesn't show any emotion before, is now widened in shock. Everyone knows that no one of noble bloodline can't have an indigo colored eyes, so it is a big shock for a royalty to suddenly encounter a stranger with an imperial insignia.

"Won't you have a pleasant tea with us?" The Empress asked again. This time, the princess had taken up the offer.

Through the time of our tea time, the princess just looked at Calix, as if burning a hole on his forehead. Calix then turn to me to say that the princess was weird because she kept looking at him.

I also didn't expect that the Empress would say Calix's identity. The princess' expression softened and then she asked Calix to come with her and play outside. Even though Calix is a little bit cautious of the stranger, he still accepted the invitation of the princess.

"I must take a short break." I said and stood up, but then I felt Regan's hands on my waist, supporting me.

"Wife, I'll go with you."

"No, stay here and have a fun chat with Her Majesty."

"What? Why do I need to--"

"That's right, I need something to tell you regarding my dear Calix, come on, sit here."

Regan showed an annoyed expression to the Empress. I slapped his arm before frowning at him and then I mouthed Don't be rude.

He just sighed loudly before going back to his seat.

I was slowly walking through the marvelous hallways of the Empress' Palace. White pillars embellished with golds. A place that looks like a maiden's paradise.

At some point I ended up in the garden again.

"No matter what, the Empress' garden is truly the most extravagant looking garden that I have even seen." I muttered under my breath as I walk the path of rose vines that climbs up the arches.

I stopped and look at the two path ways in front of me. The right one has Rose shrubs and the other one has Azaleas and Rhododendron shrubs.

I was once in the garden full of roses, so now I chose the left path.

There awaits a field of bluehead gilia. It was breathtaking, I don't really fancy blue color, but this shade might be the only exception.

Surely plucking one should be fine right?

Although I don't know if it's alright to do this, I plucked out one of blue gilia. I also don't like flowers since I have nothing to do with them and it's a waste to get them since they'll die. I don't know what went into my head to pluck a flower, it seems like I want this one.

"How beautiful." A familiar voice came from somewhere. I turn around and saw his Ash hair and Black eyes.

"Grand Duke..."

July 9, 2022
LizzannaWrites