XXI

"Blood

"Blood..."

I-I'm bleeding... M-My child... My Derrick...

"Mother! I'll go and find someone to help!"

I nodded and tried to calm myself. But it's weird because I don't feel any pain from my belly but I do feel like I'm lightheaded and weak right now. To add up to that I'm panicking a little for the safety of Derrick.

"Cressida!"

Regan showed up, he was out of breath and he looks like he rushed here from the main building.

He was checking me first before carefully lifting me.

"Call the imperial physician! The Duchy's physician and high-ranking priests from the temple!" He shouted at his aide, Zehin.

I can't feel anything but my body is slowly weakening.

"Don't close your eyes yet, it might be dangerous for you to lose consciousness," Regan muttered.

I tried my best to stay awake, and thanks to Calix's voice, I am able to do so.

"I advice the duchess to prevent herself from stress and from doing any activities for now." An imperial physician said after checking me.

"That is right." The Archpriest from the temple agreed.

He's the priest that I had talked to, the one to that I handed my letter of approval to be divorced.

"The child's grip is strong, but it is better to be careful now that you experienced your first spotting. But I'd say that this is a bad sign. Bleeding during pregnancy is normal, but it can also mean that you might have a miscarriage if you're not careful."

I nodded at him and rubbed my belly.

They discussed the details with Regan, I didn't listen because I'm quite dizzy. Jennie also changed me into a comfortable dress but I feel uncomfortable because of the tampons.

I'm quite sensitive and I don't like how it feels...

When I feel better, I better create my own...

"Wife?" I turn and looked at Regan.

"How are you feeling?"

"Not good," I said, talking about the tampons.

He sighed and lie beside me on my bed, he made me lean on his strong build and he gently hugged me.

I frowned.

"Go away," I said but I didn't push him away. He barely move an inch away from me which is why he earned a good glare from me. I'm in no mood to joke with anyone especially now that I feel extremely uncomfortable.

Even though I was still in a bad mood, I was fast asleep the moment I closed my eyes. Before I can fall into a deep sleep, I felt Regan adjusting my posture on the bed before hugging me.

...

When I opened my eyes, I feel refreshed and happy for no reason. I felt no one hugging me but I feel the warmth on my hand. Turning to my side, I saw Calix.

He's holding my hand while his head is bowed at the edge of the bed. I can hear his calm breathing, he's probably asleep.

With my other free hand, I patted his hair. Now that I think about it, he must be uncomfortable with his position. With that thought, I decided to get him on the bed, but then I remembered that I am not allowed to carry heavy stuff.

Calix is a healthy child, there's no doubt that he's heavy...

"What to do..."

I don't want to wake him up, what's the purpose of letting him sleep beside me then?

"Madam?"

It seems like the goddess was on my side when Jennie appeared.

"Perfect timing, can you move Calix beside me?" I asked, Jennie, smiled before approaching Calix and gently laying him beside me.

"Thank you," I muttered.

Jennie told me that she will be on her way now because she has work to do Which I nodded.

I stared at Calix, he's cute, he's innocent and he's lovable.

I don't want to leave him when I left. If it wasn't because of the contract, then I wouldn't leave him, I would take him with me. But I can't.

He is Regan's heir, his life is here. I can't possibly take everything from him and let him have a life with me as a commoner.

He is also the male lead of the original story, he's bound to have a good life...

He deserves something better...

That is why I left him in this mansion. I am sure that Regan would take care of him. I was also thinking that if I left, Czarina would appear.

Unfortunately, Regan fell in love with me... Tsk.

Still, it wasn't right for me to leave him all alone here, I know. It was my fault as the person who promised him that I will be his mother.

"Ugh."

I'm so annoyed with my big belly because I can't sleep comfortably.

I leaned my back on the headrest of the bed, before leaning Calix's head to my arm. He moaned which made me flinched, afraid that I might wake him up, he frowned but then he continued to sleep.

I sighed.

He snuggled closer to me, I let him and I pulled him closer so he could rest comfortably.

His hand was on top of my belly, I can feel that his hand was moving a little, making small rubs on my bump. While he's sleeping, I'm patting his head, his complexion became better as if he's having a good dream.

Unconsciously, I started to hum. I keep on humming various songs from my previous world.

Maybe the fact that I was staying in this world for a little while made me forget the memories from my previous world. It's not like I'm regretting, I don't have anything like regret.

But all I know was I live pathetically in that world. I was happy and contented with my life. A routine of waking up in the morning and going to work, a cycle of a boring life.

I missed out on a lot of opportunities to form connections with those people who wanted to be with me, I missed out a lot in that previous life.

I looked at Calix.

"Well, I must say that I might be happy with who I am and what I have right now..."

I kissed the child's forehead before sleeping beside him, feeling at home for the first time in a while...

May 13, 2022
LizzannaWrites