6

Percy walked away from the mansion, and once out of sight, she whistled loudly.

A few moments later, Blackjack landed next to her, "where to boss?"

"We need to see the McLeans, and the Dares, today. Tomorrow Mr. Chase and Grandma Zhang," Percy said.

"Can I get doughnuts as payment?" Blackjack asked.

"Fine. But don't expect much of this," Percy said, as she climbed on his back.

"Thanks boss, you got it," Blackjack said, then he took off.

Percy landed in front of the McLean house, and knocked on the door.

"Yes?" a man in a suit asked.

"I'm looking for Tristan McLean, it concerns Piper," Percy said.

"Right this ways, Miss," he said.

"Call me Percy," she told him.

"Got it, Miss Percy," he said.

She was led to an office, that had a man that had the same features as her friend, and a woman that Percy assumed was Piper's stepmom.

"Master McLean, there's a Miss Percy here to see you," the man said.

"Send her in," Tristan said.

"Of course," the man said, then moved away from the door to let the demigod inside.

"Percy! You're okay, how'd it go?" Tristan asked.

"Mister McLean, I'm sorry I'm here. We won, but at a cost. The seven are dead, except me. And there aren't many demigods left either," Percy said.

Tristan looked at her. He saw the bags under her eyes, and the rather gaunt look, "my daughter's dead?"

"Yes. Piper died a hero, saving one of the younger campers from harm, but it cost her her life, along with Jason, who killed the monster who did it, not noticing the one behind him," Percy said.

"I'm sorry, Percy," Tristan said.

"No, I'm sorry. I wish I had been able to do more," Percy said.

"You have. I'm not left to wonder, and she died a hero. She's safe and at peace now. But I would like some time alone now, please?" Tristan asked her.

"Of course. I'm sorry I couldn't bring her home alive," Percy said.

"I've served in the military. You can't save everyone in a war, Percy. It will kill you to keep thinking about it," Tristan said.

"I'm trying," Percy said.

"I know. I hope you remember, they knew there was a chance, all of them did. Including you," Tristan said.

Percy smiled and left his office. She pretended not to hear the cries of grief as she walked out of the house.

She hopped on Blackjack, heading to the Dare household next.

"We'll get doughnuts after this, Blackjack," Percy said, as she got off her horse.

"You bet, Boss," Percy said.

Percy walked up to the door, not sure how to begin this one. She braced herself, and knocked on the door.

The door opened, "Miss Jackson, it is good to see you again," Rachel's butler said.