11

Percy landed at Mr. Chase's house and very slowly crept to the front door. She was dreading telling them about her Wise Girl.

She pulled her Wise Girl's camp necklace from her pocket, along with a ring, that wasn't a camp bead on the necklace, as well. The she finally knocked on the door. Her orange shirt on clear display.

An Asian lady, that Percy knew to be Mrs. Chase answered the door. She gazed at Percy, and recognized the shirt. But was wary when she didn't see her stepdaughter.

"Fredrick, it's for you," Mrs. Chase said.

"Who is it?" Fredrick's voice called back.

"Someone from that camp Annabeth goes to," Mrs. Chase said, moving away from the door, letting her husband take her place.

Fredrick looked at Percy, and his eyes welled with tears when he didn't see his daughter.

"No," Fredrick whispered.

Percy looked down at her shoes, as tears filled her eyes.

"Percy, where is my daughter?" Fredrick asked, his tone blank from all emotions.

"Mr. Chase, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but I didn't want anyone else to. But Ann—" Percy couldn't say her name.

Fredrick came outside, and sat on a bench, that was on the patio.

"I'm sorry to tell you that Annabeth died fighting in the Second Giant War," Percy said, as her voice cracked several times, as the tears started to fall from her eyes.

"She's gone?" Fredrick asked, practically begging Percy to take it back. For it to be an extremely cruel joke.

"Yes. She died a hero, she was the last one to die, after that, we managed to win," Percy said, still not looking at him. He had helped them when they had the war with Kronos, he understood, but it was still his daughter.

"She's in Elysium?" Fredrick asked.

"Yes. Everyone who fought on our side is there, including Annie," Percy said, her voice barely above a whisper at this point.

Percy pulled out the necklace that she had in her hand, tucked in her pocket. And handed it to Fredrick.

"That's her necklace. I figured you'd want to keep it. She asked us to give it to you, if she didn't make it out," Percy said, dropping the necklace in his hand, as he took it from her.

"I'd rather have my daughter," Fredrick said.

"Me too," Percy said, "I'm sorry I didn't move fast enough. Mother Earth killed her, in her taunt to get to me. I lost control after, which ended the war," Percy said.

"You were close to Annabeth," Fredrick said, remember how the two were like two peas in a pod.

"She was my anchor," Percy said, finding her shoes interesting again.

"Thank you for coming here, to tell me. It means a lot to me, and to Annabeth," Fredrick said, keeping his emotions hidden from the girl who seemed to be falling apart.

"I had to. I couldn't let anyone else do it. Not that there were many others who could," Percy said.

Fredrick looked at Percy, "go home, Perce. You need time too."

Percy nodded, "I'm sorry I couldn't bring her home alive."

Then she left, not letting Fredrick try to tell her it wasn't her fault. It was, she knew it. If she hadn't gotten the nosebleed, or had been faster, and stronger. They'd be alive.