Sunlight

(Carisi's POV*)

I wake up to the sound of my phone vibrating on the night stand beside me. The text messages say that I need to be in the precinct in an hour.

I get out of bed, trying not to wake Maya up, who has not moved since the night before, and go out into the kitchen.

I get out the eggs and orange juice. I make myself and Maya some breakfast.

I was so caught up in cooking, that I did not notice Maya standing in the door jam.

"Good morning." I said to her as she sat at the table and I put a dish in front of her full of food.

"Morning." She replied. She had an over sized shirt on, so one sleeve hung over her shoulder.

"How did you sleep?" I asked her.

"Good." she replied with a smile knowing that she slept in my bed.

"Did you have anymore nightmares?" I asked.

"No." She replied looking down.

I sighed. "What was it about?"

"Nothing."

"Maya, it must had been something to make you scared. What was it? You can tell me."

"You were him." She sighed looking away from me.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"You were my dad. and you did everything he did to me." She said with a shakey voice and still not meeting my gaze.

"Maya, I will never hurt you. I promise." I said placing my hand on her back. She jumped up and slowly walked back until her back hit the wall.

I stood up, not liking what just happened. I walked closer to her and with every step I took, she looked more scared.

I noticed her bottom lip starting to shake and she looked like she was going to fall. I took her in my arms.

"I promise you I won't hurt you. No one will ever hurt you again." I said.

"I wish he killed me." She whispered.

"No, no, don't say that."

She continued to sob, and then she stopped. I placed her on her feet, and we both finished breakfast silently. Then, I remember that we need to go to the precinct. I give Maya a change of cloths, she changes, I change, and then we both leave for the precinct.