Chapter Fifteen

Gravity

Chapter Fifteen

___________________________________

            Eli never knew what was real anymore. After having the dreams, hearing voices, and seeing someone she was slowing convinced was becoming her best friend turn into a gigantic dog, she felt she had a very good reason to question her sanity at this point.

So there she was, lying on the cold ground, while a huge silver wolf hovered over her body. A loud screamed passed her lips as she pushed herself back further into the ground, her eyes wide and shining with fear.

The wolf jumped backwards and coward down, whining. Everything happened within seconds. Embry phasing, Eli fainting, then Embry immediately going to check to see if she was okay, and then Eli becoming conscious again.

Eli quickly pushed herself up into a sitting position, fear coursing through her veins. The images from Embry phasing repeating over and over again in her head. He couldn't have possibly just turned into a gigantic wolf. Right? That wasn't possible.

The wolf disappeared from Eli's sight for a few long seconds before returning, the familiar being now only wearing shorts, the clothing he was wearing before now completely shredded along the forest floor.

"Eli..." His voice was hesitant. He stayed a few feet away from her, knowing that she needed space. The fear that was radiating from her caused a lump to form in his throat. "It's okay, Ellie. I'm not going to hurt you. I would never hurt you."

"No!" She nearly shouted, holding a shaking hand up to stop him. "You're.. you're.. what are you?" She asked hesitantly. Her brain told her to run, but then there was something else, something much stronger than herself, that kept her glued to the forest floor. It was like gravity was weighing her down.

"A shapeshifter." He replied bluntly. He saw that her asking questions as a good sign. She could have already ran away screaming, which she hadn't done yet, so he felt that this was going better than how it could have been going. "Eli, I have a lot to tell you. But please, please know that I would never hurt you, or anyone, please just let me explain."

"Explain what? That you're a dog!" Her voice was more firm now, anger and confusion coursing through her. "A shapeshifter? Really? This... This isn't real. This has to be another dream. This is a dream." She said in denial. She has often had dreams that seemed real, this had to be one of those dreams.

"Eli, it's not a dream." Embry slowly stepped towards her and knelt down. His eyes searched hers in desperation. Eli knew by simply looking into his eyes that this wasn't a dream, but she wished it had been.

"Oh my gosh..." She breathed out. Her stomach felt queasy again and her breathing picked up, threatening a panic attack. "I don't understand how this is possible."

"I'll tell you everything. Okay? But you need to calm down first. I'm still me. I'm still Embry." He told her gently, holding his hand out. "I want to tell you everything. And no, no more turning into animals. I promise." He cracked a small grin.

Eli looked down at his hand for a minute before hesitantly taking it, allowing him to pull her up from the ground. Her legs felt like jello, her hands trembled slightly, and she felt seconds away from passing out again, though she managed to keep herself up. Though Embry was usually the one who helped her during panic attacks now, this time wasn't like the others because he caused this one and not her nightmares. She pulled her hand away from his and crossed her arms over her chest tightly, stepping away from him.