Leaving The Nest

His life at home was full of neglect and constant pressure to improve, Winter felt stuck in one place with his inability to grow body strength. Luckily, he wasn't the only one that had to deal with the constant pressure. His older brothers were under harsher conditions. Winter at least felt fortunate for the neglect. If Cyrus was home, Winter never dared to enter the house, nor stay on the same street his home resided. Especially when his father was absent.

                Entering his home, he had to endure the normal torment from his eldest sibling, Cyrus. Hitting, thrashing, and throwing Winter around the house. After the regular abuse, Winter locked himself up in his room. "Should I take matters into my own hands?" The voice asks, offering to uproot this repeating problem. "No. We're running. I'm done with this," Winter explained calmly. "Running? We're running?!" It exclaimed, disgusted with Winter's cowardice.

                Winter took his bag, and he brought it out the window, parkouring down from the second floor. Landing in the backyard, Winter began his journey away from his "home," with Ultima berating him along the way. Without hesitation, he continued. "I hate you," it hissed. Reluctant to accept the choice that Winter made. Not looking back, he walked for hours, trying to hitchhike along the highway, semis, and trucks came up and down the highway.

                None stopping or even slowing down. So, he walked nonstop for miles on end, through the night. After what felt like the entire night, a car pulled to the side of the road by Winter. "Need a ride, hun?" Offered an older woman in an expensive-looking car on the side of the road. "Where are ya going?" He asks changing his accent to something similar to her own, looking at the car that had pulled in front of him. " Down to the bigger city. From what I hear it's huge with hella jobs." She explained. "That's the plan, still offering a ride?" Winter asks, walking over to the passenger side of the car. "For the right price, I'd be more than happy to bring you with me, good lookin'," she replied with a tone that would bring chills to a young man. "I got a 20," he offered, turning out to be quite dense. "Wow, just a 20? Maybe you could repay me with some work," she leaned over more. "Sure," Winter replied, shrugging. Taking no notice of her advancements.

                With a sigh, she opened the passenger's door, letting Winter into the car. He climbed in, with his bag in front of him. She stared for a moment, waiting for him to buckle up, but he just stared back confused. She let out another heavy sigh before starting to drive. During the long drive, Winter took this time to rest. Not even a minute later, he woke from the driver tapping his shoulder. At least, it felt like no more than a minute. "Hey, we're almost there. About 10 miles left." She held onto the wheel as she turned around curves. "Oh, alright-" he had a confused tone- "How did you sleep? You seemed to be having a nightmare..." She asked. Glancing over at him briefly before continuing to make tight turns. "Mm... It's better than staying up through the night," Winter replied tiredly.

                The car went silent, mostly. Soft tunes played from the radio, awkwardly waiting silently in the dark. Dim illumination from the driver's gauges. The light from the headlights illuminated both faces. Winter sat incredibly still in his seat, keeping his arms close to his chest. Staring out his window, seeming to be zoned out, concentrating on something he found more important. "What are you thinking about? You seem troubled," she had some concern for him. " Everything seems just fine so far," Winter responded casually. "What is that supposed to mean? Don't tell me that I'm driving you away from home," she replied half joking, glancing over at him more than before. "There's more to my story, but I'd rather not explain it to someone I just met," Winter explained, nodding. Keeping many things to himself. "Right... I may not be your mother, but I'm sure she's worried sick about where you are right now," she responded sternly. "I don't think so... I'd bet that she is relieved that I'm gone," Winter replied, looking out of the window. "Oh," she had some understanding. Winter began to slowly doze off, with his head against his seat belt. The rhythm of the tire going over crevices in the roads was quite soothing. The Highways lead out and into cities and towns.