Re-Evaluation Day

"I heard that when two S-rank Mythics battle each other-" began the Boardman who watched Cyrus' evaluation- "Everything around them could be destroyed. Seems like it's true, huh?" The Boardman asked, watching the training facility they used to house Billy's duel with Cyrus collapse more. "I suppose it's a miracle that this is the only thing damaged," he added. "Right. Though, it wouldn't be fair to call a battle. Billy Bob was no match for Cyrus," The Boardman shivered at the sight of Billy lumped over amongst the rubble. "He lost even before real damage was done," he added. Among the rubble, a man stepped through the falling dust, "Who the hell are you? You're not supposed to be here!" Cyrus yelled, "Where is he?" The man asked, wearing a tattered brown cloak over a ragged white undershirt, white bandages on both hands, baggy black pants, and a pair of black boots. His face was covered in a messy beard, "Who?" Cyrus asked with an annoyed tone. "Are you not the son of Dabris? Jesus, did she already make half-monkeys?" They ask, "Who the fuck are you calling monkey, and how do you know her name?!" He asks with a furious expression, "Where is your youngest brother, half monkey?" "Enough of calling me monkey bastard! How do you know her name?!" He asked again, stepping closer to the stranger, "How do you know?!" He roared, "She's an old fling, boy," the man explained.

                Back home for a stop for resupplies, Winter was ushered off to get re-evaluated by Mari, who determined that his recent growth was quantifiable in some other way. On the news, the events of Cyrus' evaluation were everywhere, including the mess it made with the fight with a mysterious stranger. "Sheesh, what a hot mess. I swear, all we hear about Cyrus is the chaos he brings with him," Mr. Calvin watched the TV from his desk. "Mr. Calvin, someone's here to see you," whispered a younger assistant. Calvin leaned over to see who was at the desk. He sighed and leaned in closer to the young assistant. "This happens every so often. Delusional, low-ranking Mythics who are unhappy with their life and rank come here hoping for another chance," he explained in a cupped whisper. "Is this man one of them?" She asks, "Doesn't matter, just tell him the expenses and send him off to the evaluation room," Calvin replies, still in a whisper. "Got it," she typed away at the computer. "Huh, his name's Winter Greats. Why does that sound familiar?" he thought, not quite recognizing the name.

                Erik sat in his office, going through pile of paperwork after pile of paperwork. "Yes, this is Erik speaking," He spoke into the phone, his eyes on the paper in his hand. "Sir, I'm calling from the Evaluation Center," Calvin explained into the phone, in the break room. "The man you were talking about the other day, he came," He added. "Winter Greats' there?" Erik asks, dropping the paperwork in his hand. "Yes, he just applied for a re-evaluation of his rank," he responded. "Why does Winter want a re-evaluation?!" Erik asked, standing up so quickly that the papers flew off his desk. "Please, this way, sir," Another associate of Calvin led Winter to a waiting room. "Very well," he had hands in his pockets.

                Sat in an evaluation waiting room, Winter was silently going through his phone. "Next, please!" Yelled a young evaluation worker and a young man stood up and walked toward the door. "Hasn't gone through a lot of change since I've been here last," Winter thought, "Don't be so nervous! Some people turn their lives around after getting a new rank, but not everyone does," The guy who sat next to the one who went in explained. "All the Mythics who get placed in D-rank are scouted by those agents over there." He explained, "Hm?" Winter asked softly, "Agents?" The guy sitting next to Winter asked, "Yeah, they're gathering recruits for their guilds, they don't get a lot of applications otherwise," the first guy continued. "You're better off staying away from those guys, though. I heard they experience more mortality rates than in the more notable guilds," he added. "Probably because smaller guilds aren't dandy with low-ranking dungeons, but they don't have the skills to raid higher-ranking dungeons either," Winter thought. "They're stuck between a rock and a hard place," the first guy to go in walks out mortified, slouched over as he was on his way out. "Next please!" The young lady yelled, holding the door open, "Again, no need to be nervous." The guy explained, sitting up, "As long as you don't get placed in E-rank, you can make a basic living." The man beside Winter mumbled off to himself, trembling with nervousness. "Many people's lives change due to their rank," Ultima began. "A Mythic's rank determines their power," it quietly watches from the depths of Winter's mind. "Someone who could spend years practicing swordsmanship and building their body up would pale in comparison to a higher rank, so these gaps cannot be easily overcome."