Part 20 (Sophia is Found)

CJ and Daryl hadn't spoken since their argument. They both felt guilty and neither or them meant what they said but didn't know how to apologise.

Instead of going out to follow Sophia's trail with Andrea as planned, Rick had gone off somewhere with Hershel. Shane apparently saw this as an opportunity to take charge of the barn situation on his own. CJ was stood with everyone by the house when the man himself came over with the bag of guns. 

"You with me, man?" he asked Daryl, holding a shotgun out to him. Daryl hesitated for a moment before nodding and taking the gun. "Time to grow up. You got yours?"

"Yeah," Andrea said. "Where's Dale?"

"On his way," Shane answered.

"I thought we couldn't carry?" T-Dog pointed out.

"We can and we have to," Shane replied. "It was one thing standing around here picking daisies when we thought this place was safe, but now we know it ain't."

Shane proceeded to give Glenn a shotgun and then hold one out to CJ, who shook her head. "This isn't your decision to make," she said. "We wait for Rick and Hershel. This is not your call." The two of them glared at each other until T-Dog called out.

"Oh, shit," he exclaimed, looking across the field to where Rick and Hershel were walking to the barn with walkers on poles.

Shane sprinted over and everyone followed. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"Shane, just back off," Rick responded angrily.

"Why do your people have guns?" Hershel asked loudly.

"Shane, let us do this and then we'll talk," Rick reasoned, ignoring Hershel's question.

"What do you wanna talk about, Rick?!" Shane yelled. "These things ain't sick! They're not people, they're dead! All they do is kill! They're the things that killed Amy, they killed Otis! They'll kill ALL OF US!"

"Shane, shut up!" CJ shouted from next to Carl and Lori.

"Hey, Hershel let me ask you something'. Could a living, breathing person... could they walk away from this?" Shane raised his gun and shot the walker Hershel was holding three times and it kept growling.

"That's three rounds in the chest! Could someone who's alive just take that?!" He sent two more bullets to the walker's chest. "That's its' heart, its' lungs. Why is it still coming?!"

"That's enough!" Rick yelled.

"You're right man. That is enough."

Shane walked past Hershel and shot the walker in the head without looking at it. Hershel let go of the pole as the body dropped and he fell to his knees in shock.

"Enough risking our lives for a girl who is GONE! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are tryna' kill us!" Shane yelled, pacing around in front of the group. "It ain't like it was before, Rick. If y'all wanna live, if you wanna survive, you gotta fight for it! Right here, right now."

CJ could hear Rick shouting at Hershel to take the walker he was holding so he could stop Shane, but Hershel didn't move. Behind her, she could hear Carl crying as Lori held him. She watched as Shane ran to the barn and banged on the doors with his fist before breaking the lock and quickly walking backwards towards everyone.

The first walker made its way out of the barn and limped forwards. Shane aimed at its head and fired. It fell to the ground as more of the dead came spilling out of the doors. CJ, Glenn and a few others had no choice but to go forwards and open fire. She unholstered her pistol and shot one walker. Then another, then another as the others did the same.