Part 88 (We Still Have a Future)

CJ was surrounded by total darkness.

There was no difference between her eyes being open and closed. No matter which way she looked, she could not find any source of light anywhere. On top of that, it was completely silent.

That was until she heard the loud echo of a door creaking open, followed by the sound of a herd of walkers. She spun around on the spot and saw a doorway. Light was coming from it, and she could finally see where she was. In her cell. At the Sanctuary.

Walkers were roaming around outside the doorway, but they couldn't see her. She had no clue what was going on, but she knew she was afraid.

That feeling only increased, along with her heartrate, as Josh appeared in the doorway. The walkers were playing no attention to him as he looked at CJ and closed the door behind him, shutting the walking dead outside.

"You're back," Josh mumbled as he slowly walked towards her. "I've been looking for you all over."

CJ walked backwards until her back hit the wall. Josh kept coming closer until he was stood only an inch away.

"Back off," she warned, though it came out way more timidly than she planned.

Josh chuckled and put his hands in the wall either side of CJ's head, trapping her. "You love fighting back these days. It's good. You act strong."

He leant in closer to whisper in her ear, making her turn her head.

"But how strong are you really, when your back is against the wall? How strong are you, now that you're alone?"

The door behind him burst open. The walkers were much louder now, and light flooded the room again. Only this time, there was a body lying on the ground. He was lying on his side, facing away from her and Josh. He wasn't moving. She couldn't even tell if he was breathing.

She recognised the angel wings on the vest right away.

"Daryl!" she yelled, trying to get to him.

Josh grabbed her hair and pulled her so her back was pressed against his chest, and she cried out in pain.

"Nope," Josh muttered against her neck. "You're staying right here, and you and I are gonna watch it happen."

The walkers outside were still growling, and she could see them start to gain interest in the open cell door.

"Get off me!" CJ yelled, grabbing Josh's wrist and trying to pull him off of her. "Daryl!"

His grip on her hair only tightened, and he wrapped his arm around her middle, grabbing at her chest whilst she squirmed and whimpered.

"Shh, shh, shh. Relax, it's okay," he kissed the back of her head. "They're not coming for us."

The walkers started to filter through the door, and they paid no mind to the pair at the back of the cell. Their focus was solely on Daryl's unmoving body on the ground. The first walker tripped and started crawling toward him.

"Daryl!" CJ screamed, still trying to fight Josh away. "DARYL!"

"He can't hear you," Josh sang teasingly in her ear.

CJ's heart was in her mouth, and she felt like she could puke. Josh's hand continued to roam and grope her chest, Daryl was still unresponsive no matter how much she screamed, and the walkers were getting closer to him.

She suddenly found that she couldn't scream anymore. She wanted to, but she physically wasn't able to make any noise. The only sound was Josh's low chuckled in her ear, and the loud growls of the walkers.