Part 104 (Wrath)

Sunlight seeped through the thin gaps around the curtains as CJ woke up on what would be one of the most important days of her family's lives. She felt the bed dip as Daryl rolled over behind her, draping his arm around her middle as he sighed and kissed the back of her head.

"Hey," CJ murmured, her eyes still closed.

"Mornin'," Daryl replied, his voice rough with sleep. "Time to move, I guess." 

"Five more minutes," CJ whispered with a soft giggle as she cradled Daryl's arm and pushed her back against his chest.

She felt Daryl's chest vibrate as he chuckled and kissed her neck. "Come on. Up."

"Fine, fine," CJ sighed, rolling over to face him. She smiled faintly and put her hand on Daryl's cheek. "Today's the day."

Daryl turned his head to press a kiss on CJ's wrist. "Yeah. The day we're gonna end it."

"One way or another, yeah," CJ replied with a smile. "You know I love ya, right?" 

"Course, I do," Daryl responded. "I love you too. And after today, however it goes, we can get back to our lives."

"Everyone can," CJ added as they both sat up and got out of bed. 

As content as they would have been if they could stay in bed for a little while longer, they were both keen to get up and ready to leave as soon as possible. They were more than ready for the fight to finally come to an end; to finally be free from Negan and the Saviors for good.

CJ pulled her black flannel shirt around her over her white tank and did up the middle button, the material hanging over the waistband of her tight, black jeans. She pulled her vest on over the top and zipped it up to just under her chest, which made it easier for her to move around should the day bring another battle. She tied her hair into a messy ponytail and threaded it through the hole in the back of her beige cap, taking a moment to look at the faded drawing of the star on the back before she put it on. 

She went to the mirror with her necklace in hand and struggled for a moment to try and secure the clasp. Daryl walked up behind her and put his hands over hers, taking the clasp and fixing it for her. Once it was secured, Daryl reached around CJ and positioned the orange charm, so it rested over the middle of her chest. She smiled as he pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.

"You ready?" she asked, looking at him through the mirror.

"Yeah," he replied. "Are you?"

A small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. "Hell yeah."

With her boots tied, she grabbed her rifle and pulled the strap over her head to rest the weapon by her side and picked up her bow. When she and Daryl were both ready, they headed downstairs and outside to the yard where Rick was already sitting on the steps.

CJ had thought over her talk with him yesterday, and she was still unsure on what she wanted to see happen to Negan. If he was dead, it would be over and done with. The man who killed her friends and tortured her and Daryl would be gone and out of their lives forever. It would be easy.

But then she thought of Carl, what he wanted. His letter was still in her pocket; she wanted it with her when they ended the war, in any way they would. Apart from memories, that letter was all she had left of her boy, and she needed to feel like he was there with her when they marched into the final battle.

Despite the clear determination everyone had to end the war once and for all, there was still a lot of nervous tension and what-ifs floating around the Hilltop. Rick met Daryl and CJ with a quiet greeting, and the three of them stayed out at the front steps of the house as they waited for everyone else to join them so they could go over the plan.