Part 57 (The House in the Grove)

It had been a couple of hours since they'd began their journey following the train tracks to the supposed 'safe place'. Tyrese and CJ had done their best to explain to Carol about what happened at the prison. They told her about the Governor appearing with a tank and an army, demanding the prison. About how he took Michonne and Hershel to get Rick to talk. They told her about what he'd done to Hershel that caused both sides to open fire.

Tyrese was walking ahead with Lizzie and Mika walking by his sides. CJ was walking behind them with Judith in her arms when Carol caught her arm and asked her to hang back a bit so they could talk. CJ knew that she wanted to talk about the 'Karen and David' thing, but she had to say something first.

"Carol... before you say any of what you're about to say, I just wanna say I'm really happy to see you," CJ spoke quickly with a smile.

Carol smiled back warmly. "I'm happy to see you too."

"I'm glad you found us." CJ took one arm off of Judith and put her hand on Carol's arm. She noticed Carol's nervous expression and followed her gaze to Tyrese. "I know what you're thinking..."

"Why doesn't he know?" Carol asked, whispering so that Tyrese wouldn't hear.

"Rick was gonna tell him," CJ replied.

"Who else knows?"

"Rick, me, Daryl, Maggie. Hershel knew..." CJ trailed off sadly. "Rick and Daryl went to tell Tyrese before the attack. I guess they didn't get time."

Carol looked down at her feet as they walked. "What did Daryl have to say about it?"

"He was mad at Rick. For sending you away," CJ said with a sigh. "He didn't hate you, if that's what you're askin'."

Carol slowly nodded. "And... what about you?"

CJ shuffled Judith around her body so she was more comfortably rested on her hip. "I won't lie to you, I was surprised. Do I think Rick was right to send you away? No. If I wasn't dying in A-block at the time, I like to think I would have tried to talk him out of it."

"But, you don't hate me?" Carol whispered, a tear brimming her eye.

"You did what you thought you had to do," CJ replied. "It was the wrong call, yes. But Carol, after everything you and I have gone through since Atlanta, I could never hate you. You thought you were protecting the group."

"What do I tell him?" Carol asked, looking over to Tyrese again. "Do I tell him?"

CJ shrugged. "That's your call, Carol. Would it make a difference if he knew? It's only the six of us here. You gotta decide if it even matters anymore."

"Yeah..." Carol sighed, trailing off. "I still haven't said thank you... for looking out for the girls for me."

"Please. They look out for me," CJ joked, making Carol smiled.

Judith started whimpering and scratching at CJ's chest. "I think someone's looking for some attention," Carol chuckled.

"Nah," CJ smiled. "She wants to play with my..." CJ reached for her necklace and paused when she couldn't feel it on her chest. "Oh, no no no," she whispered. "Damn it."

"What's the matter?" Carol asked, holding her arms out to take Judith from CJ. Tyrese and the girls noticed that the two women had stopped and came back to them.

"My necklace, it's gone," CJ replied as she felt her pockets, knowing full well she wouldn't find it.

"Maybe it fell off when we were running from the prison," Mika suggested.