Part 93 (Damned Monsters)

It took less than thirty minutes for the troops of Alexandria to locate their assigned outpost to attack. According to Dwight's direction, there was a yard around the back of the building that the Saviors used for work, and only a few men tended to guard the place from the inside. Inside the outpost was an armoury, which was an added bonus to taking down the place.

Aaron led the majority of the group straight around to the yard, creating a barrier with the protected cars before immediately opening fire without warning. Daryl, Rick and CJ moved around to the front of the building to clear out the inside, along with three other men to cover more space.

Before they could be seen, CJ pulled out her silenced pistol and shot the two door guards in the head, one right after the other. Their blood splattered onto the glass of the door behind them, and the trio advanced onwards, stepping over the bodies and making their way inside. Daryl had his crossbow, the others had their rifles raised as they slowly went through the building, checking every door.

Rick turned to instruct the other men. "You signal if they're already inside. We'll be there." The three men nodded and ran in the direction Rick pointed.

"Come on," Daryl muttered. "Let's find them guns."

"We split up, cover more ground," CJ decided.

"Meet up by the stairwell," Rick agreed.

CJ went to the left, her rifle raised and her finger hovering over the trigger, ready to fire if she came across anyone. She opened every door cautiously, hoping that behind one would be the arsenal of heavy-duty weapons Dwight had told them was kept there. She found that every room she went in was pretty much empty besides some dusty office furniture. She did another quick circle before going around to the stairwell.

She was the first one there, and she paced up and down for a couple of minutes waiting for the others. The gunfire out in the yard was still going on, though muffled by the distance. She suddenly heard footsteps coming from the hall and she immediately raised her rifle, only to sigh in relief and drop it when Daryl and Rick came around the corner.

"Ain't on this floor," Daryl said.

"No people either, luckily," CJ added.

"Only option is up," Rick said, holding the map Dwight had drawn.

"High ground," Daryl nodded. "Good cover."

"Yeah, I'd put 'em up there too," Rick agreed.

"Stairs," Daryl pointed to the set of double doors.

He kicked the locked doors down and the trio ran up to the next floor, splitting up and checking every room and hallway like they did downstairs, finding nothing once again. With the exception of the rapid gunfire outside, which could barely be heard anymore, the building was eerily quiet.

They met up again and found they had to climb up an empty elevator shaft to get up to the last floor. Rick went first, then Daryl, then CJ went last. Rick reached the top and took Daryl's hand to pull him up, then the two men grabbed CJ's hands to help her up too. This last floor was shrouded in darkness, the light from any small windows barely allowing them to see one another. They all adjusted their weapons.

"Last floor," CJ mumbled quietly. "The guns have to be up here."

"He said they'd be here," Daryl uttered.

"Everything else he passed you is checking out," Rick reminded him.

"That guy's a piece of shit," Daryl grumbled.

Rick sighed. "If those guns get to the Sanctuary, they could cut through those walkers and free up an exit. We'll be faster if we split up. I find the M2s, you find 'em, we use them. Hit the courtyard right there and then."