Part 62 (Four Walls and a Roof)

Once everyone had returned from their various runs, it was getting close to night. The group that Rick took to the food bank had come back with boxes full of unspoiled tins and bottles. It was the most food the group had managed to find for a long time. Glenn, Maggie and Tara had found a few silencers in an old gun store and Carol and Daryl had brought back gallons of water from the stream. It was a successful day.

When Rick got back, Carl showed him what he'd found on the walls outside. When CJ spoke to him, she told him about the Bibles and the notebooks. They didn't want Rick to freak out or get defensive on Gabriel, so they tried to assure him that it might not mean anything. Rick agreed not to say anything and just wait and see what happened. Gabriel was hiding something, that much was clear, but for now they would leave it be.

After helping bring the food inside, CJ went to sit outside to watch the sunset. She could hear a few voices from inside the church through the closed doors behind her from where she sat on the bottom step, but she drowned them out.

It was only early, as the sun went down it turned the previously blue sky to a mix of warm orange and pink. Rays of warm, yellow light hit her, and she closed her eyes, tilting her head up and soaking up the sun. The sounds around her varied; from quiet bird calls to buzzing of flies and insects. The faint blowing of the wind created a whoosh sound and made the few loose strands of her red hair fly around over her face.

She had been sat out there for a while when she heard the door open with a creak. The voices of everyone inside became louder for a second before the door closed and they were muffled again. Turning to look up, CJ saw Daryl coming down to sit beside her on the step.

"You've been out here a while," he pointed out. "You good?"

"Yeah, I'm good," she smiled. A real, genuine smile. "Just wanted to watch the sun for a bit."

"The others are going through the food," he told her. "You comin' back in soon?"

"In a while, yeah," she replied with a sigh. "It's nice out here."

"Yeah, I guess it is." Daryl glanced over to her, noticing, admiring, the way the sun reflected in her eyes.

"Why are you out here?" CJ asked after a small silence.

"No reason," he shrugged. "Just checkin' on ya."

"Aww," she grinned as she scooted over to him, closing the gap between them. "After all this time, you still worry about me, huh?"

"Pfft," he huffed, rolling his eyes as he hid a smile. "Shut up."

"Mmmm, nope," she giggled, moving to rest her head on his shoulder. "Can't get rid of me that easily."

"On second thoughts, I shoulda' left you out here," he joked as he rested his cheek on the top of her head.

"Rude," she mumbled.

"You started it," he shrugged.

"Yeah, and now I'm finishing it," she shot back with a giggle.

"Fine."

"Fine."

"Fine," he smirked, making her laugh.

After a while, they went back to being quiet, just enjoying watching the trees as the branches danced with every gust of wind that flew by. The sky slowly grew darker, yet there was still a thin line of sunlight creeping through the few clouds that were left floating in the sky.

"We should probably go back inside soon," CJ eventually mumbled quietly, breaking the silence.

"Mmm," he hummed back.