Chapter V- A Day Out

I stood with my parents and two servants at the front doors. "We'll be going now then, if you return before us don't be afraid to ask the servants for anything." My father stated to Adonis and the phantoms.

The raven haired man nodded. "Of course, thank you for your hospitality," he replied. My father gave a firm nod before he turned around to head out. My mother and the servants followed suit, but I caught myself staring at the phantoms and Adonis. He simply winked and put a finger up to his lips, gesturing me to keep my lips sealed. I paused before I heard my father yell my name.

I stole one final glance at them before I ran out the doors. "Sorry father!" I shouted, getting into the carriage after my mother. I saw my dad roll his eyes before he got in as well.

I stared out the window as the carriage began to move. I rested my face on my elbow, seeing the people outside live their lives. Well, not all were living. I knew that for a fact.

The ride to the church was short, for we lived close by. We stopped outside the grand building and the door was opened. A butler stood there with his hand out. My mother grabbed his hand and climbed out. I followed her actions, but my father brushed against the butler when he got out. The butler was unfazed, as he was used to this behavior.

The doors to the church were opened widely, welcoming all who came. My parents linked arms and began their way inside. I slowly followed, for I dreaded this evil place. I gazed down at the ground as I made my way inside.

We were one of the first families there so of course we sat in the front. And soon the church was flooded with people. I could hear the chattering, kids playing, and babies crying. It was all so much. It was enough to make my head start spinning.

The priest interrupted everyone and got them to quiet down, well everyone except the screaming babies. He began to go on and on about God and the prophet. I listened to the crying children. I understood them. If I could, I'd be screaming too.

~{}~

"Kikimora, come here," my father ordered from his place in the study chair. He sat with a book on his lap, pretending to read. I knew he hated reading. I got up and did as he said, standing in front of him. He didn't look up at me. "Tomorrow night we'll be hosting a ball. I need you to tell the maids to start getting everything prepared. It is a surprise party for your mother. Don't let it slip to her. Do you understand?" He explained.

I closed my eyes. "Yes father. I'll go inform the maids now." I stated. He only hummed so I left the room and walked down the hall. I was about to go upstairs to the third floor when I caught sight of one of the maids. I walked over to her and she bowed when noticing me. "Please have everyone start preparing for a ball tomorrow night. Do not let my mother know," I said firmly.

She nodded and bowed again before walking away to tell the other maids and butlers. I turned around to start walking to the stairs when I bumped into someone. I would've fallen if it weren't for the hand that caught my back. I looked up and saw one of the phantoms. He let go of my back after making sure I was flat on my feet.

I took a step back, straightening out my dress. "Thank you," I spoke gratefully. He nodded. That had to have been the most response I've ever gotten from one of them. This one seemed to be the tall one that gave off the calm air around him. He reminded me of peace and quiet. I realized I'd been staring at him so I embarrassedly looked away, twisting one of the rings on my fingers. "Uhm, would you like to go for a walk with me?" I quietly inquired.