Chapter XXV- The Love I Hold

A/n: Just thought I'd share a photo of a little demon baby I drew on my hand. My friend named him Casper. So meet Casper!

"Tell me more about phantoms," I said to Adonis, biting my lip. I stared at him as he sat across from me on the garden grounds. My legs were folded beside me and I leaned on one of my arms.

He looked up from his work as he made a flower crown. It was quite cute to think that Au- I taught him how to do that. His smile was brightening as the sun's rays beamed down on us through the leaves from the trees. "About their species?" He specified. I quickly nodded in response.

He let out a hum as he continued working on weaving the stems together. "Well, they're not all that much different from humans. Of course, they live much longer, they're much stronger, and their senses are amplified." He stated. I was invested in every word that left his lips. I was interested to know more about them. "But unlike humans, the phantoms have a hard time changing the look on their faces. It takes a lot of energy for them to even smile." He explained.

My mouth went agape. "Awh, that must be awful. I feel so bad for them," I said as I covered my mouth with my lace covered hand. I frowned at the thought of them not being able to express themselves that way.

Adonis shook his head. "They don't mind. They've lived for so long that it no longer has an affect on them." He replied, mostly focused on his work. "Kimaris was the first to be created and after him came Malachi, Valerian, Salem, Elwin, then of course, Damian. The little mischievous boy," he laughed to himself.

I smiled proudly, hearing him use the names I'd given the phantoms. "What were they like to raise?" I chuckled.

He looked up in thought. A grin spread across his face. "Val, Malachi, and Elwin were easy. But the other three were always into trouble," he said, shaking his head at the thought before looking back down at the flower crown.

I giggled. "I never expected Salem to be a troublemaker," I commented. I began playing with the blades of grass between my fingers.

He let out another laugh. "Where do you think Damian got it all from?" He asked, eyeing me with a smirk on his face.

A gasp left my lips as my mouth fell open. "No way." I exhaled, not being able to hide my smile. Adonis nodded, not looking up. I chuckled again. I couldn't imagine Salem causing trouble.

I saw Adonis pick up the crown and inspect it in the air. He smiled to himself, deciding it was perfect enough for him. To my surprise, he leaned forward and gently placed it atop my head. I blushed at his actions and he leaned back to his original position.

He eyed his work, making my blush deepen. "They're more chaotic and troublesome as young ones. It settles when they lose their tails," he stated.

I stared at him in confusion. "Phantoms have tails?" I asked, dumbfounded. I was feeling at the flower crown on top of my head and pulling at my hair to try to make it look decent.

The man nodded his head. "Only when they are children. When they reach the age of two hundred their tails begin to disappear," he explained as a smile grew onto his face again. The thought of the phantoms having tails was adorable.

I subconsciously cooed. "That's the cutest thing I've ever heard," I mumbled. Adonis chuckled at me. I nervously smiled and resumed twirling the blades of grass between my fingers. He turned away and watched the butterflies play in the air around the flowers.

I couldn't stop myself from staring at him. Whatever it was between us right now had yet to be spoken about. I wondered if he was just waiting for me to remember everything from my past lives. How could he even be so(666) sure that I'd still feel the same way after so many years?

I internally groaned at myself. What a stupid thought. Of course I'd still... feel the same way. I did every other time so why was I doubting myself now? I'm so ridiculous, especially even after what I- we did the other day. I sighed to myself.

The sound caught Adonis' attention and he turned back to me. His eyes met mine. "Is something wrong, Mora?" He asked kindly. I nearly swooned right then and there.

I gently shook my head. "No," I said softly. "Just thinking," I replied. I let myself continue for whatever reason. "Has there ever been a time when you didn't... love me?" I mumbled the last part.

My question seemed to come as no surprise to him. "To be completely honest with you, Mora, there have been times when it was hard to recognize you, but there has never been a time I didn't love you," he stated in a soft tone. He gently took my hand in his.

I looked up into his eyes through my hair. I didn't know what to say in response. I did have another question though. "Have you ever thought I wouldn't love you back?" I inquired. My own words made me wince at the thought.

He gazed at me in silence for a moment. I felt him tenderly rub his thumb across my knuckles. "Mora, there is nothing that requires you to feel the same about me. I, more than anyone, understand that things change with time," he explained.

My eyes nearly welled with tears and my lips quivered. I slowly brought myself closer to him and wrapped my arms around his torso. I held him in a tight hug. I couldn't think of anything to say. He's nothing like everyone says.

I felt his hands glide around my back before they started rubbing soft circles on it. He laid his head on top of mine. I leaned further into him at that. His scent drew me in even more. I closed my eyes and let a breath leave my lips. I never wanted to leave his embrace.