Chapter XXVII- Serenus

"Salem, you really are too kind. Thank you so much for all you've done for me," I said appreciatively as I looked up at the tall phantom. He shook his head like it was all nothing.

I opened my mouth to say more, but the door to the study opened and in walked Adonis. I smiled at him. Salem stood up and bowed a little. Adonis grinned. "Don't worry, Salem. You may retire if you wish," Adonis informed to the taller male. Salem nodded and turned back to me. He nodded respectfully, as if saying his goodbyes.

I nodded back at him. "See you later, Salem." I waved. He turned around and started to walk out. I watched as he opened the door and quietly closed it behind him. I lifted my head to see Adonis. He was right in front of me now.

His smiled widened when my eyes made contact with his. "Good morning, my dear," he said, bending down. He gently took my hand and I watched him in confusion. He slowly brought the back of my hand to his lips. He placed a small kiss upon it and my face turned read. He didn't pull away immediately and kept his lips against my hand. Eventually, he did pull away and stand back up. I stared up at him from my place in the study chair.

My face was absolutely burning. "Uh, um, good morning," I managed to stutter out. I let out out small breath of air, trying to calm myself. It didn't do much.

Adonis sat in a chair across from me. "I've been thinking of things to do since we got here," he began. I grew confused. "I don't want you to lose your connection from the rest of the world and I want you to have normal human friends," he stated.

I furrowed my brows. "What do you mean? I'm fine with you and the phantoms," I replied in a puzzled tone. "I don't need anyone else," I assured him.

He simply shook his head. "I want your life to be the best, Mora. I won't force you if you really don't want to though," he said kindly. His tone was so sweet and soft.

I pondered over what he said. I've never had much luck making any friends, but I suppose that was mostly because of my parents' restrictions. They never wanted me to get close to anyone or speak to anyone without being allowed. I nodded at Adonis in understanding. "Okay. If you think it's a good idea." I smiled a little.

He smiled back at me, making my face heat up yet again. Even with the skull-like designs, he looked so pretty. "Very well. I'll make plans to throw a small celebration to meet some of the townspeople," he explained. He stood up and I followed his actions. He walked over to me and I looked up at him. He felt so close. "I'll let you know the details once everything is sorted out." He took my hand in his and rubbed his thumb over my knuckles.

I smiled and nodded. "Alright," I responded. He carefully slid his hands out of mine and started to walk away towards the door. I watched as he opened the door. "Adonis," I exclaimed, catching his attention. He turned back around. "How about a masquerade?" I suggested with a small smirk.

He grinned before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him. Now alone, I turned around and started walking over to one of the large windows. I thought about my time as Livana. I wondered how I died that time.

I gazed out the window, peering into the garden. I saw a figure out there. A tall figure. It was Salem. He was looking up at the trees in the dense forest behind the garden. I hummed and smiled to myself.

~{}~

I walked out into the garden, smiling as I looked around and saw the many beautiful flowers in full bloom. The place was always so absolutely beautiful. I'm curious to know who takes care of all the plants.

Looking straight ahead, my smile widened when I saw Salem. This time he was kneeling down next to some flowers. I strolled over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He didn't looked away from the flowers immediately, but when he did, his movements were slow.

I grinned down at him, folding my hands behind my back. "Hello Salem," I said gently. I glanced at the flowers, then back at the brunette. "Those are pretty flowers." I commented. Then a thought came to my mind. I hummed to myself. "Do you take care of them?" I asked curiously.

He stood up, towering over me. I had to strain my neck to look up at him. His blue-green eyes wandered around the garden before they returned to me. He nodded. I gaped at him. All of this was done by him? "Wow," I said in amazement. I spun around, looking at every little detail of the place. "That's incredible!" I exclaimed, beaming up at him. His eyes squinted, like he was smiling without changing any other part of his expression. I giggled.

He suddenly turned towards the trees. He stared, seemingly in thought. About a minute later he turned back to me and held his hand out. My brows furrowed in confusion. I looked at his face. Expressionless. I couldn't say I was expecting more, to be honest.

I slowly put my hand in his. It was freezing cold of course. He lead me over towards the woods. We didn't walk far. If I turned around I knew the garden would still be in sight. When he stopped he turned to me. We were right in front of a big tree. I was still confused.

Well, I was. He let go of my hand and grabbed onto a branch. I gaped at him as he effortlessly pulled himself up. He stood crouched on the limb and held his arm out for me.

I bit my lip, hesitant. "Is this a good idea?" I muttered, unsure. He only shook his head. I let out a small laugh at his response. So what? Right. I lifted my hand and gripped onto his. He easily began to pull me up and my other hand went to his wrist. I gasped in surprise. In seconds I was on the branch with him. We both stood up and I stared at him breathlessly.

The cycle continued for a while. He would go onto a higher branch then pull me up with him. It was amazing how much strength he had. Soon, we'd reached the top of the tree.

He was standing on a limb like it was nothing. I hesitantly brushed the leaves out of my way and stood up with him. My jaw dropped and a gasp left my lips. I was speechless. From here I could see the tops of all the other trees and even part of the roof of the house. Not only that, but the sun was setting, casting an orange tint across the sky.

The wind blew and my back bumped into Salem. I looked behind me at him, feeling his hands glide to my hips for support. I blushed in embarrassment. "Sorry," I mumbled. He didn't move or react, but instead kept observing the view. I didn't blame him.

His body was cold against mine. His chest was also hard, but not uncomfortable. The wind kept blow. I could feel my hair fly with it. I faced the sunset once again. It was a sight I'm sure I would never forget.