Chapter XXXIII- When Better Than The Present

⚠️WARNING⚠️: Suggested sexual themes and mention of death!

"Mallory! We have some exciting news!" My mother squealed joyfully. My dad sat in his chair as my mom stood beside him. His injured knee left him unable to stand for a long amount of time.

I quirked a brow at them. I was standing across from them in the small lounge room. "Yes? What is it?" I inquired in confusion. My parents rarely ever had some exciting news.

My mother beamed and my dad looked ever so proud. "We've found a suitable husband willing to marry you!" My mother shouted eagerly. My jaw dropped and my eyes widened.

I was absolutely frozen in place. "W-what?" I stuttered out in shock. My head was already spinning. Marriage? So soon? I was barely eighteen!

My mother nodded and approached me. She pulled me into a hug. My long blonde hair hung over her shoulder. She pulled away and I could see some tears in her eyes. "You'll be married within the week!" She cheered.

My father laughed joyously. "The family will finally get out of the poorhouse!" He exclaimed happily. I could see the tears of joy ready to spill down his face.

I forced a smile for my parents. I managed a weak "yay" of false excitement. I knew the day would come, but so soon was a surprise. I was terrified.

I awoke with a jump. My eyes peeled open and I saw that the white curtains in my room were closed. There was a hand gently rubbing across my back as I laid on my side.

I peeked behind me and saw Adonis with his arm around me. I blushed deeply. He was awake too. I bit my lip as my face burned. His eyes made contact with mine. I couldn't get myself to look away. "Good morning," I muttered quietly.

He smiled and kissed my head. "Good morning, Mora," he responded in a soft tone. I turned over so that we were facing each other. "How did you sleep?" He inquired, continuing to rub circles on my hip.

A small smile spread across my lips as I played with his disheveled hair. "Okay. I had another dream," I remarked. His eyebrow raised. "It was my past life, the one before my life now." I stared into his eyes. "It was the time when my parents told me I was getting married. They were so happy," I mumbled.

He frowned at the mention of that. He didn't say anything, however. "I wonder why I'm dreaming about that life now. I have remembered it all from the start," I stated in confusion.

His hand moved onto my waist and pulled me closer. I blushed at the close proximity. "It's just an effect that occurs. You didn't always remember the life before so they came to you in dreams." He explained.

I slowly nodded in understanding. "I see. So I'll be seeing more of it again soon?" I questioned softly. I shivered as his hand slid up and down my spine.

He nodded. "Yes. Tell me, what was your life like that time, hm?" He mused, grinning widely.

I hid a frown. I rolled over and sat up. I pulled my legs off the bed and shivered at the cold feeling it gave me. "Uhm, it was different," I muttered vaguely.

I felt his arms go around my waist. "You know that you can tell me anything, don't you?" He whispered huskily. He slowly sat up, tightening his grip on me.

I felt his strong chest against my back. I leaned into him. "I do. It was just... rough," I said quietly. He rested his chin on my shoulder. I could feel his warm breath on my skin. I sighed solemnly. "I'd just turned eighteen a few months before my parents announced my betrothal. I was to be married to the town's wealthiest family's son."

"He was much older than me, and he had an awful temper. A day before our wedding, I confessed to him that I wished to run away. Oh, how I wish I hadn't. He got angry so he chased me until he got the chance to get me on the floor." I took a deep breath as tears formed in my eyes.

Adonis didn't say anything, but I felt his gaze fixated on me. His grip was ever so tight. It was comforting. "He screamed at me, even as I begged him to let me go. He wrapped his hands around my neck." I whimpered, tears slowly falling down my face. "I remember that I lost consciousness, then I was born again." I exhaled. I didn't look at Adonis.

He, however, didn't hesitate for a second to gently take my chin in his hand. He turned my head so I was facing him now. I looked into his eyes as tears continued to run down my cheeks. "I'm sorry, my love," he murmured, wiping my face. He cupped my face in his hands and softly kissed my lips. I closed my eyes and savoured the moment until he pulled away. "You will never have to go through that again. That's a promise," he said.

My eyes widened at his words. He hadn't made a promise like that in centuries. Not since... I gazed into his eyes. Without a thought, I pressed my lips back against his, running my hands through his hair. He kissed me back, just as passionately as he grabbed my waist.

I brought one of my legs back onto the bed as the kiss deepened. He gently bit my lip and I separated them in response. I slowly moved so I was straddling his hips.

I pulled away from the kiss, panting. "Should we really be doing this?" I asked breathlessly. "It's so early in the morning," I mentioned, trying to catch my breath.

Adonis smirked. His messy hair made him look extremely good-looking. "Why shouldn't we be doing this?" He questioned, starting to pepper kisses along my neck.

I sucked in a breath and bit my lip. "W-well, I'm um, I'm sure the-the phantoms are u-up by now," I stammered, getting distracted by every single kiss he dragged along my skin.

He suddenly looked back up at me. His sharp red eyes stared into mine mischievously. My face flushed red. Not a second later, he attacked me with kisses yet again.

I pulled us down onto the bed so that I was beneath him and he was on top of me. His kisses didn't pause and he trailed down to my collarbone. I couldn't help but let out a moan of pleasure.

He carefully pulled the top of my nightgown down far enough so that the top of my cleavage was exposed. I gasped as he placed wet kisses across my upper body. I pulled at his hair before bringing him back up to my lips. I kissed him deeply.