Chapter VII- It's a Surprise

"I don't know what you're thinking Kikimora, but you need to keep your distance from those gentlemen!!" My mother yelled at me. She was behind her changing screen, getting her corset done by one of the maids.

I was sat on one of the cushioned chairs in her room. "I'm not close to them, mother." I mumbled quietly.

I heard her groan. "Don't you talk back to me! Just do as I say!" She demanded.

I frowned. "I'm an adult now, I can have some freedom," I explained.

"You'll get your 'freedom' when your father and I are dead and gone!!" She shouted angrily. "Leave." She ordered.

Without a word I got up and left the room. Once out in the hall, I let a sigh escape me. I don't know how much longer I can put up with their behavior towards me.

Upon walking further down the hall towards my room, I was met with the sight of two phantoms. They were in front of my door, seemingly waiting for me. I walked over to them and they looked at me. From what I could tell, one of them was the well built one and the other was the one with heterochromatic eyes.

They both hand their hands clasped together until the taller one of the two(heterochromatic) handed a letter out towards me. I eyed it before taking it and unfolding it. "Join us on a day out? ~ Adonis." I would've said no, but I thought about what my mother had previously said to me. A small smirk found its way to my lips.

I nodded at the two. "Thank you," I said gratefully. They each nodded at me and held their hands out for me to walk ahead of them. Soon after I did, I found one on each side of me. Somehow, it felt like they were guarding me. It did make me feel secure.

When we reached the first flight of stairs they both held their arms out to me. I looked at them in confusion for a moment until I took them in my own arms, linking us together. Our steps were in sync when going down the steps.

When we reached the second floor they still didn't release my arms and we just continued down the second flight of stairs. It felt a little awkward for me. They were both so close and they held onto my arms tightly, but comfortably. Did they do this for anyone else?

I took my arms away when we reached the first floor. I cleared my throat. "Thank you," I stated. They didn't react. I sighed and continued towards the front doors. I could hear their steps behind me. When I made it to the doors I saw the rest of the phantoms and Adonis standing there.

He turned around and smiled at me. "Ah, Mora, I'm so glad you could make it. Come, the carriages have already been prepared," he said, motioning for me to walk with him.

I looked around at all of the phantoms who each had their eyes on me. They separated so that Adonis and I could walk through. I walked next to him and two of the phantoms opened the doors for us. It was Salem and the one who escorted me to dinner.

I stole a glance behind me and saw all of them following Adonis and I. I turned back around and saw two carriages. "Where are we going?" I inquired curiously.

He grinned, showing off his pure white teeth. "It's a surprise! You may reco- I mean, you might like it," he chuckled. I gave him a questioning look, but he didn't look at me.

We stopped in front of the carriage and my eyes directed themselves at the horses. My eyes widened in shock. They were skeletons! There were two on each carriage and all were... dead.

I turned to Adonis in surprise. "They're dead?! Can everyone see them?" I exclaimed.

He smiled down at me and made a "shhh" sound. I shut my mouth and crossed my arms. "No one else has to hear us if you don't scream," he said. Something about his words... made me feel a certain way I couldn't explain. "The living see them as normal horses, with the exception of you, of course." He explained in a joking manner.

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the carriage door that was being opened by Elwin. The blond one held his hand out to me and I took it gratefully. I smiled at both him and Elwin in appreciation.

I grabbed my dress and stepped up into the carriage. I seated myself nearest to the window in the back. The next to enter was Adonis, who sat across from me. One of the phantoms got in after him. It was my dinner escort. Instead of sitting next to Adonis, he sat beside me. I was a little surprised by that, but I didn't bring it up.

I looked at the raven haired man across from me. "Who's driving?" I asked confusedly. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the phantom tapping his fingers against his leg in some sort of rhythm.

I saw that Adonis smirked. "The one you now call Salem. He's the best coachman I've ever had." He answered smoothly.

I raised an eyebrow. "I thought the phantoms didn't talk, how do you know his name?" I mentioned, tilting my head to the side.

His smirk only grew. "There are other ways we can communicate, Mora," he responded. The phantom tapped on his head, looking at me.

It only took a short second for me to understand. "You can read each other's minds??" I pried, squinting with confusion.

Adonis seemed to chuckle at my endless amount of questions. "We are heard when we want to be heard," was all he said. The statement was a little puzzling to me.

Suddenly, it was like all lights went out in the world and all I could see was pitch black. When my vision returned I saw Adonis without his makeup, his "tattoo" in plain sight. I also happened to notice that the phantom had his demon mask back on his face.

I gulped a little, surprised at the events. "Are you going to kill me?" I inquired, directing my question towards Adonis, seeing as the phantoms don't speak.

He let out an amused laugh and shook his head. "No no. We are just more comfortable in our natural forms," he clarified. I hummed in thought. It must be annoying have to hide what and who you really are everyday. I wonder why they endure it.