Ch.23 Surprise

**Dedication goes to @MarilynEdmond for the best comment on this chapter. It really means a lot to me & I hope you enjoy this story!!!

It was the first time Genevieve could remember waking up before Remy. She kissed his chest softly and brushed back his blond hair that had fallen onto his forehead sometime during the night.

Genevieve kissed his parted lips slowly, expecting some type of reaction. She gently touched his cheek, when she received no reaction at all. His skin was paler and colder than normal if that was possible. She leaned away from his still form, eyes going wide when she noticed his chest wasn't rising.

Panic began to rise in Genevieve like never before. Tears pricked her eyes, a burning sensation in her throat, as she tried to push back her emotions so she could come up with some logical idea on what to do.

Her small hands pulled at her hair, frustration and worry taking over her body. A loud sob racked her body, when she tried listening for any sign of a heartbeat, only to be met with complete silence.

Remy had never told her to do if something like this happened. Genevieve was lost and as each second past she could feel her heart cracking into tiny pieces.

She tried feeling him through their mate bond. Surprisingly and fortunately she could feel a sense of calm coming from him.

Genevieve racked her brain for anything that could have caused this. It was almost as if Remy was in some type of relaxation mode.

Genevieve kneeled beside his still form, trying to get more information off of their mate bond. Tears were streaming down her cheeks, as she cursed herself for being human. If she were a werewolf or vampire she would be more intact with their bond and would know how to "wake" Remy up.

She didn't know if this normal for Remy of if this was happening for the first time. Genevieve couldn't come up with anything.

"F▲ck you! Remy when you wake up, you'll be wishing you were dead." Genevieve sobbed, laying her head against his chest. She was angry with herself, with Remy and whoever dared to ring the doorbell in that moment.

Genevieve ignored the loud doorbell, humming to herself as she pretended her mate wasn't in that "dead" state. If anyone were to walk in on them they would have thought Genevieve was crazy, as she hummed away, fingers tracing over Remy's tattooed chest.

Humming was one of Genevieve's coping mechanisms she developed as a young girl. It was more subconsciously, something she never really took notice in.

The doorbell rung once more, before she heard a deep voice outside of the living room. She darted out of the fort, after covering Remy quickly with a sheet, scared the intruder would see him.

"Where is he?" Levi asked the same time Genevieve asked "How'd you get in here?"

"I used a spell, where's Remy? Is he in there?" Levi asked frantic, pointing towards the fort.

"H-he's s-sleeping ... I think?" Genevieve didn't really know how to explain Remy's situation.

Levi nodded his head in understanding, while moving closer to the fort. "Did he explain to you what's happening?"

"No." Genevieve answered, hugging herself for comfort. "Is he going to be OK?"

Levi glanced back at Genevieve. "Yeah, he'll be perfectly fine when he wakes up. Maybe a little possessive over you." Levi made eye contact with Gen. "At the most he'll be a horny motherf▲cker."