Chapter 18: Dr. Cullen

Margaret woke up in the hospital. The walls were a harsh white. Machines beeped incessantly. The fluorescent lights gave her a headache. A blonde, incredibly pale doctor said something about a concussion. He had to explain it three times before Margaret understood. But he couldn't explain why Jacob wasn't there. The doctor just smiled knowingly. She kept asking for him anyway. Or rather, she tried to ask for him. The words wouldn't come out right. Her brain was just so muddled. Her memories of the fight in the clearing were fuzzy. Surely Jacob and Chance couldn't have been moving that fast. And what was the sickening snap she heard before she blacked out?

Emily entered the hospital room at some point, but Margaret didn't remember when. She kept asking for Jacob but Margaret's answer didn't make any sense. Despite her best efforts, she slipped into an uneasy sleep.

In her dream, she sat helplessly as Chance beat Jacob over and over again. The loud snap she heard before passing out echoed with every hit Chance got on Jacob. When Jacob had been beaten to a bloody pulp, Chance turned his attention to her. He reached for her. He wrapped his cold, dead hands around her arm.

Then Margaret woke with a jolt. She bolted upright and found herself face to face with none other than Jacob Black.

"Jacob," Margaret sobbed. She tried to climb out of bed but he rushed to her side. He carefully moved her legs back onto the bed and under the covers.

"Margaret," he smiled down at her. He brushed tears away from her face. "I'm so sorry this happened."

"It's okay," Margaret held onto Jacob's arm for dear life. This was partly because she was scared he was a dream. If she let go of him he would disappear. Also, he just had really nice arms. She liked holding them. Margaret frowned at the new scars that covered his skin. Were they from Chance?

"No, it's not okay," Jacob growled. "We should have been able to keep track of him. I still don't understand how he disappeared so fast."

"I believe I can answer that question," Dr. Cullen smiled as he entered the room, flashing a pointy set of fangs. Margaret started to scream before Jacob shushed her. "Sometimes vampires have special abilities. I wouldn't say it's common, but it's not uncommon. If what I've been told is true, Mr. Von Tramps may have had the ability to mask his tracks. That would explain how we never found him."

"We?" Margaret asked. She wanted to ask more about Dr. Cullen's fangs, but she didn't want to offend her potentially blood-sucking doctor.

"My family," Dr. Cullen didn't elaborate any further. Margaret whipped her head to Jacob. He just shrugged. Dr. Cullen ran some tests and quietly left the room. Emily went home now that Jacob was there to sit with Margaret.

Jacob pulled his chair as close to the bed as he could. He always had both hands on her. Whether it was holding both of her hands, having a hand resting on her, or playing with her hair, his hands were always present.

"Where did these come from?" Margaret pointed at his new scars.

"A dumb vampire," Jacob shook his head.

"They look cool. And you killed him so you get a cool war story the next time they show off scars at Emily's."

"Yeah, but I'll always know any time I see these scars I got them when a glittery, dead Frenchman threw me."

Margaret laughed and winced. Her ribs had been broken in the fight. Every breath was agony. "That french accent was so fake. Don't worry, you got thrown by a glitter, dead fake Frenchman."

Jacob laughed. A real, joyful laugh. His shoulders weren't slumped anymore. Bags had been forming under his eyes for a week, and they were finally gone. He sat up straight and gazed lovingly into Margaret's eyes.

"I love you so much," he leaned in and lightly kissed her forehead.

"I love you too," Margaret reached out and grabbed the collar of Jacobs's shirt. Then she yanked in for another kiss. She yanked him in for another kiss. She kissed him as if her life depended on it. She didn't need to breathe. Who needs oxygen when you can kiss Jacob Black instead?

Margaret. Margaret needs oxygen. She found this out when her heart rate skyrocketed as her tongue fought with the tongue of a six-foot-seven hunk of a werewolf. The nurses also found this out too.

When her heartbeat sped up, the multitude of machines attached to her set off alarms. Nurses rushed into the room, ready for action. And I suppose you could argue that they did witness some action. Just not the kind they were expecting.

Imprinted: A Jacob Black FanficOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara