the pool-a sneak peak

a look into one of my work-in-progresses

𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐏 Pacific Northwest, tucked away from most maps, laid a town. Forks, Washington.

It was a quaint town, filled with people who's whole life was to live and die there. Gossip traveled at the speed of light, everyone's lives overlapping with the other.

But when no one saw, creatures lurked in the shadows. Man-eating monsters tearing away at human flesh attacked innocent civilians and larger than life creatures under the moon hunting them down in retaliation.

But even within the mysteries, laid more secrets—another group of otherworldly beings. Beings who hid so well that even their supernatural counterparts never did find their presence.

They performed and lived just as humans did, but instead magic strummed through their veins. It was their lifeforce and gift.

They were witches. Beings of beauty and horror wrapped into one sentience, capable of the impossible and hidden right underneath the nose's of the Cullens.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏 the shoulders of night. A wind breaking through the eerily quiet evening. It was a special type of silence. The kind that hinted at the presence of something that didn't belong.

A shudder broke through from the lone man as he pulled his collar closer to his neck for protection. He couldn't help but shift his eyes over his shoulder every now and then, searching for the seemingly imaginary creature that lurked on his conscience.

    The wind worked in weird ways around him, suddenly picking up in small gusts as if something was ducking and running behind him but his doubting mind told him to leave it be.

    To his demise, his consciousness would be nothing more than just an assertion for false safety.

    That next time, the "wind" was only stronger, forcing him off his feet, falling on his knees. Quickly he tried to stand but the force pushed him down on his stomach.

   He couldn't comprehend what was happening next but it was like hellfire pushing its way through his blood as he felt the inhuman canines rip through his skin like butter.

Pain reached him before death could as he writhed under the hold of his captors.

    His screams shook the girl awake causing a scream to rip out from her throat as well. She was young, no older than 10 and yet dreams of dying, tortured men and women haunted her.

Footsteps thundered through the house as the other occupants rushed to her.

First to the room was a woman who looked to be in her mid-twenties, Gaia Auclair, the girl's adoptive mother.

Straying by the doorway, watching as their mother tended to their sister, was two girls, Kore and Calliope.

   "I saw it again," the child, Hera gasped through her tears. "The monsters."

    Carefully she held her in a hug, soothing her. "It was only a dream. You're safe, I promise."

    "No," she sniffed, pushing Gaia away. "They're real and they are coming."

   Silence worked through the family as they took in Hera's words. Danger was among them and they could only avoid it for so long.