Chapter 10

Nick was chugging through the empty streets with Ikuto at his side when, as agreed, he stopped at the place where Vermouth had come to pick him up. Nick turned off the lights and breathed shallowly. Why was Ash being so mean? He understood that she didn't like Noc's because they were all traitors, but he wasn't doing it by choice! He had never chosen such a life; he had never wanted the black organization to kill his parents.

Dubonnet hissed; he had never wanted to join the FSB either. The missions, the torture, all the people he had killed. His blood trail was long...so long that you could wrap it around the earth once...all that, he had not chosen. And now he was infiltrated into the organization.

"I'm trying to be nice, after all! But no, that's not good enough for her either!" growled Nick, pounding his fist on the steering wheel. Sooner or later Ash would not hesitate to kill him, at the latest then, the plan of the FSB seemed to go. "Of course, I'll risk my fucking life for it. I'm the dirty pig who dies in the end," he growled. He could still feel the scar on his stomach. It wasn't the only one. And it wouldn't be the last.

At last, a motorcycle pulled up; Dubonnet recognized Vermouth's slender figure immediately. Dubonnet dragged the unconscious man out of the car. "Here's the fucking pile," Nick greeted the woman. Vermouth took off her helmet, her blond hair still perfectly in place. Her lips formed into a charming smile.

"I see you're alone," the woman remarked, eyeing Ikuto on the floor. Nick rolled his eyes in annoyance, his dark circles standing out starkly. "Yeah, because Miss Ash felt that I was the last piece of shit, and she didn't need me. She took off without saying anything. I have a feeling she'll never work with me," Nick grumbled, honestly struck. Vermouth looked at him for a moment. "Ash is cagey and maybe complicated at first glance, but I'm sure you just need more time. Besides...she's a loner, so it's something new for her too," she tried to cheer Nick up.

"More time...more time...," Nick grumbled sceptically. Was Vermouth, right? Did Ash just need more time? "Anyway, you've done the job. Now you have a day off. See you around," the blonde chuckled, putting the man in the passenger seat and driving off. "A day off? This can only suck," Nick muttered, trying to mentally prepare himself to squat in a room with Ash.

♠♠♠

Ai Haibara strolled down the street with Conan Edogawa as the sun shone through the leaves of the trees. The warm light warmed the two children, the cold breeze was fitting and refreshed them. "Tell me, Ai, are you sure everything is alright? You look so...worried," Conan remarked.

His glasses shone in the light, and his black hair and curious eyes were clearly visible. Ai didn't answer right away. "Yeah, I just haven't been sleeping well these days. That's all," she replied, stroking her hair. Conan shook his head. He didn't seem to buy her answer, of course not, after all, the boy was far too curious. "No, honestly now, what's wrong, Ai?", Conan wanted to know, reaching for her hand. For a moment, she stared at her mate. Her eyes trembled a little, her lips wanted to move, but she said nothing. "I...", the girl hesitated, quickly pulling her hand back.

Would he believe her? What if she was just driving herself crazy? But those messages! That feeling! Ai couldn't be wrong, and that only scared her more. "It's them Conan. I have a feeling...that they're back, that they're hunting me," Ai replied in a weak voice, looking around in panic. Conan didn't seem to understand right away.

"Do you mean by...the...men in black?", Conan wanted to know. "Yes...they have found me. They're going to kill me. And...then you," she whispered, sadly looking down at the ground. Suddenly, Conan took her hand. "Don't talk nonsense! They won't find you! And if it should happen, we will protect you. Me too. I started this game, so I'll fight to the end," Conan replied, smiling warmly at her.

"You don't have to be afraid all the time," he assured her. Ai took a step back, looking at the boy uncertainly. Was Conan right? She turned and continued walking down the street. "I don't know, Conan...I don't know," she muttered. Conan stood there and sighed. Just as he was about to catch up with his girlfriend, a loud roar sounded, and a car came careening around the corner.

"AI LOOK OUT!" shouted Conan in fright as the car almost ran over the girl. Ai jumped to the ground, scraping her forearms. Conan ran, but when he saw who got out of the car, his heart stopped. "No...no...this...can't be..." he gasped. Now he realized that the black car was a Porsche. "Hello Sherry, good to see you again," a tall man with gray hair hissed. Ai turned around slowly, sweat clinging to her, fear gripping her. "What...?" she stared into the cold, searching eyes of Gin, confused and frightened. The man grabbed the girl and grinned. Then he was her into the car.

"CONAN," the girl shrieked frantically. The boy caught up, but Gin only grinned. Then he lashed out and kicked the boy in the pit of his stomach. Like a ball, Conan smacked against the wall. "If this is really Sherry...it's only a matter of time before it's your turn too...Shinichi Kudo," Gin growled. Conan's blood froze in his veins, his body felt numb. With his hand, he tried to reach for Gin, but he got into the Porsche and drove off. "AI!" he yelled in pain, but it was too late. The black Porsche had disappeared around the corner.

They had found Ai. They were all going to die.