Chapter 20

His short legs hurried across the street as fast as they could, one more time he changed alleys and made sure no one was following him. Only then did he dare to stay still for a few seconds. Finally, he could take a breath, his empty lungs filled with air. When the pain in his side stopped, the boy looked around again, frightened. But far and wide there was not a soul to be seen. Had he really escaped from the two? Had it really been that easy? He ran his hand through his dark hair.

"Thank you. Thank you, Dubonnet," he whispered. Conan Edogawa adjusted his glasses as he wiped the sweat from his brow. He couldn't have done it without Nick's help. The organization would have caught him - and then...then it would have all been over. Had the NOC not revealed himself...the agents would have captured him...and probably killed him.

The black organization had stopped being so cautious, now they went more on the attack, Conan didn't like that at all. All the more, Conan had to be careful now. Now Gin and Vodka would follow his every move. Now he was not allowed to go home, he would unnecessarily put Ran and the others in danger. "I have to let Agasa know," the little detective muttered, dialing the professor.

"For GOD'S Sake SHI- CONAN," Agasa replied in dismay. "Where the hell are you anyway? We all thought you'd been kidnapped too," the man gushed. Conan bit his tongue. "They tried. Listen Agasa. I will try to free Ai with the FBI, I will explain everything else later," Conan said firmly. The professor stumbled.

"Excuse me?" he wondered.

"I won't be back for so long. Please...please tell Ran that I'm on my way with Shinichi. Everyone stay home and under the protection of the police," the little boy added. The professor seemed to be thinking. Then he replied, "Kudo, please be careful. Please come back with Ai," he whispered anxiously. "I promise," Conan vowed, though he wasn't sure either of them would make it back. The little master detective hung up and strolled a few streets away. He needed time, absolutely lots of time. If he wanted to save Ai, he had to come up with a plan. Suddenly, Conan heard a vehicle approaching.

Quickly, he braced himself for an attack, or that Bourbon or that girl...Brennevin would shoot at him. Without hesitation, he turned and took aim with his watch. But in mid-motion, he paused. This was not the agents' car. But if it was not the black organization, who was it? The silver Mercedes stopped, and someone rolled down a window.

"Hey, cool kid! We're looking for you!" a familiar voice called out. A young woman with blond hair waved out the window-it was Jodie! The FBI was here! Relieved, Conan lowered his arm. For safety's sake, Conan looked around one more time, then got into the car. As usual, Camel was at the wheel, with James next to him in the passenger seat. "Hey Conan," the two greeted him. "Are you all right? You look so tense," Jodie remarked, tilting her head. Conan took a breath. "Yeah, but the organization is after me. We don't have much time left," Conan pointed out.

Jodie looked at him in dismay, then regained her composure. "Do we have a plan?" wanted James to know upfront. The little boy shook his head. "All I could get was a tip from Dubonnet. I'm supposed to look for Ai where her other half had encountered Gin...", Conan thought out loud. "Where Gin came across her other half?", Jodie couldn't figure it out either. Seconds later, it hit Conan like an epiphany. "But of course! Now I know what Dubonnet meant by that!" the little boy exclaimed. Impressed, the FBI agents looked at little Kudo.

"By the other half, of course, we mean her sister! The place where Ai Haibara is being held is where Gin had shot her sister!" explained Conan. "Akemi Miyano...I had sworn to her...to defeat the organization for her," he whispered languidly. Memories welled up inside him. In his mind's eye, he saw the bleeding woman on the floor. Her tired, weak look in...her sad eyes.

"I'm counting on you... My little detective...!" Her last words still echoed in his ears, as if she were here now, beside him. "I'll find them all and put an end to this organization," Kudo hissed. "You say you know where Gin Ai is holding?" wondered James. The man looked at Conan curiously through the inside mirror.

"We have to go to the place where I found Akemi!" said Conan suddenly, pointing out the place on the map. Camel nodded. "Let's not waste time," he grumbled and turned. "We still need a plan! What are we going to do now?", Jodie wanted to know. Conan remained silent. She was right, they couldn't just rush in there. Suddenly, the boy had an idea.

"I think... I have a plan," he finally said.

♠♠♠

Ash woke up from her half-sleep and looked around in confusion. Had she fallen asleep? Still with her eyes half closed, she stood up and looked at Nick's empty bed for a moment. She couldn't believe...that the annoying guy was really dead. It felt so...unreal. Tired, she dragged herself into the living room, where Minoru had just gotten off the phone with someone. When he saw the girl, he quickly hung up.

"You're awake," he greeted her. "Save it," Ash grumbled, reaching for the water bottle. Her head was throbbing pretty much as if someone was hammering around with a jackhammer over and over again. "Do we have any news...regarding gin and stuff?" she wanted to know. "Or about those little boys," she added. Her counterpart considered for a moment. "Gin doesn't respond to any of the messages, not even Vermouth's. As far as I know, only Vodka knows where he's holding Ai," the mustachioed man replied, stretching.

Ash looked at Minoru in confusion. She had never liked Gin; he was a scumbag. Everyone had to do his job, but he was allowed to get away with anything. No wonder he had planned something on his own again. Ash wouldn't be surprised if something got out of hand and they really punished Gin. Would this ever happen? Not likely. "It's also not clear where this Conan Edogawa is. His house is being watched, but only the police patrol there..." At the word police, Minoru became thoughtful.

"Hello, Grandpa?", Ash snapped him out of his thoughts. "Anyway, there's nothing for us to do but wait," Minoru finished his sentence. "I don't feel like waiting," Brennevin said promptly and stood up. She grabbed her jacket and looked in the mirror. "I'm going to go see Vodka. It's time for this game of hide and seek to end," she grumbled, annoyed. Without waiting for an answer, she left the store, leaving Minoru overwhelmed. What on earth was this girl up to?

♠♠♠

"The memory of a dead person does not fade. It is deeply rooted in your broken heart and there is nothing you can do about it. Absolutely nothing."