Chapter 24 Bell Tree Express 2.0 Part II

He watched from the distance as his chest slowly rose and fell. Briefly he felt as if he would wake up for a moment, but he had only been mistaken. The corridor seemed completely lifeless, as always. Was there anything he could do? How could he help him? He was all alone, with his nightmares and the disturbing reality. Vodka looked at Gimlet's battered face. Would the boy live again in each case? Vodka shook his head. 

"Now Dubonnet is dead, too. Sherry was freed, Gin acted...without thinking. The organization was in chaos. What would happen next? Probably no one knew. Just as Vodka was about to leave, his cell phone started vibrating. "Yes?" at first, he thought it was Gin, but he was sorely mistaken. "Vodka...where's Gin?" the distorted voice gnawed at him. As if claws were digging into his skin. Sweat dripped from Vodka's forehead. Was that...something...? 

"I...I don't know," he answered truthfully and swallowed.

 Fear crept through his legs all the way to the top. And that was despite the fact that he didn't even know who was talking to him. "You say...you don't know?" the person repeated the statement. "I thought you were his best friend," the voice laughed. "Or how do you always say it? Brother?", the person's laughter made Vodka freeze. "I...swear...he hasn't said anything to me for the last few days," the agent mumbled, frightened. The person remained silent for a moment. "If you see him, tell him...to come to the white room. Do you understand me?" the person commanded. The...white room? Vodka swallowed again. 

"Yes, clearly and distinctly. I'll tell him," the man with sunglasses replied. "Good, good," then the mysterious person hung up. Whoever it had been...he was playing a dangerous game with everyone. It was only a matter of time before someone broke the rules. Vodka took one last look at Gimlet, then stepped down.

♠♠♠

You are bigger.

You are stronger.

I just need to...break your chains.

Let me help you.

Then you're all mine.

♠♠♠

Faint voices reached her, and a bright light seemed to fill the room. Carefully, she tried to open her eyes, her head still throbbing. After a few seconds, her eyes adjusted to the bright surroundings and she recognized a young boy sitting in front of her. He was wearing glasses, which reflected her face. "Kudo," she murmured weakly, relieved to see him. The little master detective immediately jumped up. 

"Haibara," her best friend rejoiced. "You're finally awake," he reached for her hand. "Where...where am I?" she wanted to know in confusion as she looked around cautiously. They were in a small, plain room, a few medicines were on the dresser. But the view was not the one they were used to; it was definitely not the professor's house. "We are safe. They've taken us to a cottage on the outskirts of Tokyo. No one will find us here," Conan reiterated. Just at that moment, other people entered the room. "She finally woke up!" exclaimed a girl with brown hair. It was Ran Mori who came to Ai's bedside. "Are you feeling better?" she wanted to know. Ai nodded truthfully. "Thank you. Thank you for saving me," Shiho replied and sighed. The burns still hurt. 

She just couldn't remember the images. Two more people entered the room. They were Kogoro and Professor Agasa. "I'm so glad you're all right," Agasa said, putting his hands on his hips. Kogoro nodded. "Everything went well after all. We'll stay here for now. Otherwise, it's too dangerous, people might be out to get us all now," the sleeping Kogoro explained. Ai and Conan nodded. All the more reason the organization would be looking for them now that they had escaped.