Chapter 11: Broken Trauma

Song: "Professor Sada/Turo Battle Theme" - GameFreak

The effects of the futuristic Slither Wing's attack hit Sada so quickly that Arven knew something was wrong. As soon as they reached the heart of the thicket, she felt too weak to stand.

Arven grasped her shoulders and sat her down in front of a log. It was at the foot of a patch of colorful, sweet-scented flowers. He dropped to his knees and took her lab coat off her arm so he could look at it again. The whole time he worked, Sada said nothing.

Eventually, Arven freed her arm. He helped Sada put her coat back on and walked on his knees to her front. "You stay here, Mom, and I'm gonna get you some help."

Sada's hand flung forward, and she squeezed Arven's wrist. "Wait, wait, don't leave me. I want to go home."

Arven released himself. "Don't worry, we're going to get you home. I'm just going to grab Koraidon so he can carry you. Penny can treat you on the way back." He turned his head to Mabosstiff. "Mabosstiff, look after her."

"Arf." Mabosstiff approached Sada again.

Arven peered into her fearful face. "You're going to be okay, Mom. I promise. But I do need you to tell me what this Infrared is. I don't care that you're a robot, if that's it."

"No, no, it's not," Sada elucidated. She paused. "So many Pokémon. Infrared is my computer, Arven, but... That's all I can tell you."

"Okay, I understand," Arven said, slightly frustrated. What happened to mothers and sons telling each other everything?

Arven pushed himself to his feet. He started to leave, but he looked back at Sada. "But I want you to know that if you don't tell me why that Pokémon attacked you, I can't help you. As humans, we work together as a team." He scoffed. "You clearly don't know that yet."

Sada lowered her head. She closed her eyes when Arven kicked a stone while he left. It smashed into a few of the thicket's bushes and scared a few Bird Pokémon.

***

Mabosstiff licked Sada's cheek and placed his paw in her lap.

"I can't tell him, Mabosstiff," she said. "It will crush him even more than he already is. I hope you understand." Was it possible for an AI to cry?

Sada glanced at her twitching arm. She wanted to rip out all her wires in case something human-like was in there, but she didn't want to break herself further. "I guess this was bound to happen eventually," she said to herself.

She and Mabosstiff waited for a while, but finally, Arven reappeared in the thicket's opening, followed closely by Nemona and Scarlet riding Koraidon. There was no sign of Penny, though.

"Professor!" Oh gosh. For once, could Nemona lose her sunny personality? She slid off Koraidon and came within reach of Sada.

Celebi flew next to her.

Nemona grinned and brought her hands together. "What was this Pokémon like? Arven said it looked like a futuristic version of Slither Wing." Her eyes landed on Sada's broken arm. "Look at you, Professor, feeling pain for the first time. This calls for a celebration."

A celebration? Was she insane?

Sada gave Arven a funny look. "I thought you were going to get Penny."

Nemona cleared her throat. "Yeah, um, she doesn't really want to talk to Arven right now, but hey! Scarlet and I are here to keep you company until she comes around."