Chapter 10 (Old): Iron Moth

At the same time, Arven and Sada stopped what they were doing and turned their heads.

"What on Earth's gotten into Miraidon?" Arven inquired, running his fingers through his hair.

"Agias!" Miraidon's cry busted down the back door and swamped the cave like an enormous wave.

Arven and Sada tossed their knives onto the counter and hustled for the door.

Her hand in her pocket, Sada explained, "He may have seen a Slither Wing. There's a rabble of them that fly by occasionally." She smiled at the worried teens. "Not to worry. Y'all stay here, and I'll check it out."

"Stay here?" Nemona asked. "And do what? I wanna battle!"

"I already told you to stay clear of the Paradox Pokémon, Nemona," Sada said. "Trust me. These ones are far more ruthless than the ones you faced in Area Zero. I don't want any of you getting hurt." Her eyes moved over to Arven. "Especially you, Arven, since you already took a beating in the Zero Lab."

"Bu... But, Mom," Arven stuttered. There was no way he was going to let his mom run astray in the past with a bunch of dangerous Pokémon! "No," he added, shaking his head. "I'm going with you."

"No, you're not," Sada stated. She took Arven's shoulders and sat him down on the couch with his friends. "Remember my code. My battling abilities surpass even the Champion. I'll be fine." Sada patted Arven's shoulders and turned on her heel. "Miraidon!" she called.

Arven rose to his feet, but Penny held her arms up to his chest.

"You heard the lady," she said. "We need to stay here."

Arven ripped her arms off him, causing Penny to fall back onto the couch. "I don't care. She's my mom."

Okay, Penny had had enough of this. There was no more Mr. Nice Guy from here on out. She was getting sick of Arven pushing her around like a woman. It was time for her to take a stand.

With Koraidon and Celebi watching in the distance, Penny hopped up from the couch and snatched Arven's shirt collar. "For Pete's Sake, Arven! Your mom is dead!" she boomed, and she shook his shirt a few times. "What you're looking at is an AI! A robot! You want proof? I'll give you proof." Penny started to pull out her phone, but Scarlet grabbed her and lugged her away from Arven before she could.

"My mom's not dead, Penny!" he fought back, straightening his collar. "I love her, and she's ghosted me long enough."

"You're in love with an AI?" Penny growled. "That's sick, Arven. It's a freaking robot."

"She's not an 'it'! She's my mom!"

"She's an AI!"

Nemona finally stepped up. She wasn't head of Naranja's student council for nothing.

She came between Arven and Penny before they could draw their pokéballs and said, "Break it up, you two!" Pausing, Nemona took a deep breath and lowered her voice. She faced Arven, who was on the brink of tears, and added, "Arven, I understand. It's sad and it hurts, but what Penny's saying is true. Your mom..." She shook her head. "She died. AI Sada told us in Area Zero. You've got to accept it."

"No, never," Arven choked out. "She's being controlled by a computer. I just need to find a way to break her away from it, and then I'll finally have my mom back. If y'all don't wanna help me, fine. I'll do it myself." He dropped his pack, clutched Mabosstiff's pokéball, and rushed outside to where Miraidon stood, now calm.

Inside the cabin, Nemona rubbed her temples. "Oh, boy." Dropping her hand, she faced Penny. "It's okay, Penny. You tried. When we get back to Naranja, I'm going to set Arven up with a grief counselor."