Chapter 21: Battered Woman

Song: "Bring Me Back To Life" - Epic Indie

Just when Arven recovered from his scare, Sada, from out of nowhere, stumbled. The crown dropped from her head and rolled to Penny's feet. Sada almost fell herself, but Arven caught her.

"Whoa, Mom, are you okay?"

She straightened herself. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just think I need to step out and take a breather."

"Na-hah," Arven retorted, shaking his head. "You're not going anywhere without me."

Sada groaned. "Arven, could you please give me ten minutes by myself?"

Arven wrapped his hands around her upper right arm. "I'm not leaving your side."

The others soon approached them, and Penny grasped Arven's arm. "Arven... let her go."

"Don't tell me to let her go!" he spat.

Penny jumped. "I didn't mean it like that. I meant to leave her alone for ten minutes as she requested."

"As if!"

Nevertheless, Arven's friends worked together to pull him off Sada.

"No!" Arven broke free, knocking them back. He dove for Sada, who went to the back door, and snatched her ankle.

"Ow! Arven, let go!" Sada dragged him the rest of the way to the door when he refused.

"Don't leave me, Mom," he begged.

"I'll be back in ten minutes." Sada freed her ankle and hastily opened the door. She accidentally slammed her fingers into it. Sada cursed to herself, but then she was gone.

Scarlet lugged Arven to his feet, and Penny brushed the dirt off his shirt.

"She'll be fine, Arven," she said. "Until she gets back, help Nemona with Meowscarada."

Unfortunately, Arven refused to help Nemona until Sada returned. He paced in the cabin's living room and rubbed his hands together. His Rotom Phone floated next to him.

"For Pete's Sake, Arven!" Penny finally said, turning on her chair. "Will you stop pacing like that? You're making me nervous."

Arven checked the time. "She said she would be back in ten minutes."

Penny squeezed her chair's headrest. "Yes, and it's been ten minutes and thirty seconds."

Arven threw his hands back. "Something's happened to her! I know it has!"

"Dude, will you stop obsessing over her and just help Nemona?" Penny stood and retrieved the Scarlet Book from Scarlet. She shoved it into Arven's chest.

"Ow!" he yelled. He let go of the book and clutched his chest.

"Oh, come on," Penny growled. "I barely touched you."

Nemona left Meowscarada. "Penny, stop," she said, tugging her away from Arven. "Arven, you need to sit down. Scarlet will help me with the herba mysticas. You focus on resting."

"I don't need rest." Arven whirled around and faced the back door. "I've got to find her."

"Arven, your heart—" Nemona tried to say, but Arven was already gone, and he left the Scarlet Book behind.

Celebi and Miraidon chased after him.

Arven headed for Sada's garden and cupped his hands around his mouth. "Mom! Mom!" He yelled loudly and slowly, but when Sada didn't answer, a few tears dropped from his eye sockets. "Mother!" he screamed.