Chapter 13 (Old): Scarlet's Confession

"Miraidon, let me see him." With her hand on her arm, Sada struggled to her knees. Feebly smiling at Miraidon, she said, "I won't forget you," and her eyes moved over to Arven. "Please. He's my son."

"Agias. Agias," Miraidon protested.

Sada glared at him.

"Gias," Miraidon whimpered, dropping his head. He sighed and moved away from Sada.

At the sight of the opening, Arven was quickly on his feet. Mabosstiff snuck up on him from behind, but Arven paid him no attention. He sprinted forward but tripped on a tree root and fell.

Scarlet, who watched the whole thing, covered her mouth with her palm. "Oof," she said in a low voice. She heard rustling in the bushes behind her.

Slither Wing and Koraidon trotted out of them. Leaves and flowers stuck to the Pokémons' coats. Not only that but Nemona and Penny dangled from Koraidon's back because he had been running so fast.

"Koraidon, did you seriously have to cut through the most overgrown part of the thicket?" Penny mumbled. She looked like she was about to be sick.

"I thought that was awesome!" Nemona cheered. "Penny, I thought you liked riding Koraidon."

"I do, but not when he gets leaves in my hair." Penny rolled off Koraidon and rose to her feet. Running her fingers through her hair, she plucked leaves from it. She made sure she was leaf-free before she joined Arven and Sada.

For a long while, the two friends said nothing. They merely stared at one another, with lightning flashing between them.

Finally, Arven spoke. "Penny."

"Arven," she said back. "So... your AI mom broke her arm?"

"We were ambushed," Arven explained. He wrapped his arms around Sada and pulled her close to him. He had to keep her safe. She was dozing off. "Can you just fix her?" he asked. "I can't lose her. Not again." Why did he feel so sad all of a sudden?

Arven's lip twitched. He felt the weight of the world pulling him down like an anchor. It suddenly became hard to breathe.

Noticing his shift in behavior, Scarlet hopped off the log. She came within reach of Arven and clutched his arm. Scarlet started to pull him away from Sada, but Arven freed himself.

In the meantime, Nemona placed her hands on her hips. "It'll be fine, Arven," she elucidated. "Penny's the best when it comes to fixing things. After all, she's hacked a whole classroom's worth of smartphones."

"Oh, shush, Nemona," Penny, a little bashful, said. "Just give me some time, Arven. It's okay. I forgive you from before."

Scarlet gave it another go. She gently tugged Arven away from Sada and let Penny take the stage. Scarlet rubbed his back and led him toward a small river in the distance. A combination of the setting sun and the brook's clear water made the area quite picturesque, but Arven did not admire the scenery.

Halfway to the brook, he dipped his shoulder into Scarlet and collapsed to one knee.

"It's okay, it's okay," Scarlet whispered, turning on her brave face. She helped Arven to the ground. "It's okay to cry."

And Arven did. He burst into tears and sobbed the hardest he had ever had in his sixteen years of living. He cried so much that he soaked Scarlet's school uniform. "I can't breathe. I can't breathe," he gasped.

"Deep breaths. Deep breaths," Scarlet said. "You're doing great. Just let it all out."

"Why did my mom have to die?" Arven yelled. Freeing himself from Scarlet, he pointed at Miraidon, who hovered next to Penny. "You did this! You killed her! You murderer! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!"