Chapter 27 (Old): Arven Learns the Truth

The trip back to Arven and his friends was quiet. Miraidon was both confused and enthralled by what he did for Koraidon on the bridge. And this was after he was such a jerk to him in the past. Before Miraidon and Sada traveled to the future, he promised himself that she would be his only friend. Here he was, though—making friends with Koraidon, and he had no idea why.

Miraidon's confusion switched to worry when he and Koraidon made it to the camp. His feelings for Sada re-surfaced, and he came within reach of her. Miraidon drew back when he saw Arven sitting next to her.

He and Miraidon met eyes. For a long while, they did not move, but then Arven slid off to the side and opened a gap for Miraidon. He still didn't like him, but at the same time, he knew Miraidon was Sada's Pokémon.

"Agias," Miraidon said in a low voice. He approached Sada, and the first thing he did was close his eyes and nudge her head.

She did not wake, but she did move her right hand a little, and Arven took it. As soon as he did, a fresh batch of crystals appeared on her fingertips.

"Oh no," Arven whimpered. Sada's life flashed before his eyes. She was growing weaker and Terastallizing faster. What was Penny not telling him?

Arven blinked back a few tears and pecked Sada's hand. "You're going to be all right, Mom," he said in a slightly choked voice. "You're going to get better, and we're going to finally be a family." He reached into his pocket and pulled out the card Kenji gave him.

Kenji's Lab, it read. Levincia.

Was Levincia close? No, Arven was not going to take Sada there.

He released her hand and grasped the card in between his thumb and index fingers. No matter how hard he tried, though, he could not bring himself to rip it.

Arven jumped when Penny snuck up on him from behind and asked, "You're not seriously thinking about taking her there, right?" He was already in too much danger.

Arven seized up. Goosebumps ran up his arms, and he shuddered like he was cold. After a moment of silence, he admitted, "I-I don't know."

Penny leaned down and clutched his arm. "Arven, can I speak to you? Alone?

"What about?" he said. He already had an idea of what Penny was going to say.

She helped him up and led him away from Sada.

Penny and Arven went to the stream Miraidon and Koraidon played at earlier. Thanks to the rays of the moon above, the water took on a crystalline appearance.

A lump formed in Arven's throat. Swallowing it, he prepared himself for the bad news. It took him a second, but he managed to ask the question: "What aren't you telling me, Penny?"

Penny looked up from studying her feet and a few fish Pokémon settling down for the night. Inhaling, she turned to Arven and adjusted the glasses on her face. "Arven... Your mom is dying."

"I know she is." Since when did Penny become Captain Obvious? Narrowing his eyebrows, Arven clenched his fists and dug his nails into his palms. "That's why I'm going to find my dad and destroy Infrared."

"You can't," Penny said with a shrug.

"What do you mean I can't?" Arven thought his friends were supposed to support him and his decisions, especially when it came to family.

Although it was clear she was a little frustrated, Penny kept her cool. "Because Sada is bound to Infrared—meaning that if you destroy it, you destroy her."

"What?" Arven unclenched his fists. Why didn't Penny tell him this before? He ran his fingers through his hair. "Okay, then I'll take her to the lab and get Kenji to fix her."