Part 19

[Klaus helped Hayley regain her strength/energy and the day is almost ending. There will be a Haylijah confrontation, HopexElijah confrontation, and the happy Mikaelson dinner but the only difference is that Hayley will be there. I won't write the dinner only Klaus and Elijah in the end. This is the last chapter. I hope you loved reading this series as much as I loved writing it. ❤]

With new blood in her veins Hayley felt like a whole new person. It had been an hour since her and Klaus had arrived at the compound and since Hope was sound asleep, she'd decided to take a much needed long bath.

Hayley was sitting at her vanity table, combing her hair when a soft knock on the door disturbed her. Setting the comb down she opened the door only to find herself face to face with Elijah.

For a moment, his eyes changed. Hayley barely contained a shudder. Yet they didn't break eye contact, through their eyes it felt as if the same memories were passing.
Her dying.
Elijah letting her die.

He was the one who broke the silence.
"May I come in?"
"Yes, yes." Hayley nodded, stepping back. Elijah came in yet no one spoke. There was just too much to say, too little time and no excuses.

Elijah had been mustering all his courage, all his strength for this moment. For the time he would come to face his lover and yet his tongue was tied. All words lost. Every word seemed too mundane, too simple to apologise for the grave action he had committed. 
"Elijah-"
"Forgive me!" He pleaded, hurt drowning his voice, shadowing his eyes. "Please forgive me! Please-" Hayley raised her hand, motioning him to stop.

"You're forgiven Elijah. I forgive you."
"I.."
"No you don't need to say anything." Hayley spoke ever so softly, her voice void of any traces of anger. "I understand what happened. Your blind devotion has always been your weakness and your strength. Our strength, when you were devoted to this family. You were devoted to the woman whom you loved for the past seven years, I understand. I really do but maybe it's time to...change us. Me and you."

Elijah could feel the words attack his heart like tiny little splinters of wood.  Of course, of course he'd been foolish to not think of this outcome.
He'd been foolish to think that he deserved a place beside her any longer.

"I understand. I do." He couldn't mutter more than those words. All of them seemed pointless either way. "You're right."
"Hope just triggered her wolf side and I wasn't there for her." If Hayley would continue to speak any longer Elijah'd start to desiccate. "She needs me by her side more than ever. Klaus spent a lot of time away, and now he's trying to leave us for good. I do not have time for further...distractions." 

"I understand." He swallowed. "I am happy that you're among us now." Elijah turned his back at Hayley turning towards the corridor. "Elijah."
He stopped in his tracks, not daring to breath while Hayley walked to him.
She put a hand in his shoulder and Elijah stiffened.

Slowly Hayley rose to her toes, and pressed her soft lips against his cold cheek. Elijah had turned into a statue by now. 
"I hope you find your happiness Elijah. I found mine." She whispered against his cheek.
Not bearing to speak anymore Elijah left the room.

[After the dinner, before Klaus' speech.]
"Come in." Hope's gentle smile dimmed when she noticed Elijah in her doorstep. "Yes?" Her tone turned to ice.
"Hope." He hesitated. "You know for many centuries that I have shared with my family, the main purpose in my life was to lead Klaus to an honorable life. His redemption was my cause.

The moment Klaus saw you for the first time, you had already accomplished what I couldn't in a thousand years. You were a miracle Hope. Our family's hope. 

When you were born, I declared that you would be... the savior of this family. That wasn't fair. We should never have been your burden to bear." 

"I'm sorry for hurting you that day. Maybe I went a little overboard."