Epilogue

Its finally the day, Hope's birthday and both Klaus and Hayley were equally ecstatic and excited. The hall where once Klaus' birthday was hosted, was once again beautified, with orange lights in torch-like lampshades that flickered on the concrete walls. Rows of tables, full of savoury and sweet foods and sparkling wines in delicate, thin flutes. Vines entwined with lights were pinned on four walls all which gave the place an ethereal gaze. 'I need everything to be perfect.' The last word almost came out as a growl. 'Y-yes, Mr. Mikaelson.'
'Oh my God! Klaus there you are.' Hayley came into the hall where Klaus was ready to bleed the poor organiser dry. 'Everything looks great, Klaus is just a...perfectionist.' Hayley spoke to the organiser and not waiting for a response she forcefully pulled a crazy-eyed Klaus away. 'Stop it!'
'Not my fault humans are so easily scared.'
'The poor man was terrified. We've talked about these crazy moods of yours. Find better tactics to deal with things that annoy you.'
'Why Hayley I am a perfect gentleman, as you know.' He smiled innocently when Hayley raised a sceptic brow. 'If he had done all things perfectly, then he'd have no reason to fear me.'

Hayley took a deep breath. 'Klaus we approved on everything that is going on in this room together. Why are you acting like this now?' Klaus continued to stare right at her, but lines of tension were visible in his tightly-locked jaw. 'This isn't about the party, is it?' Hayley spoke softly reaching for his hand and threading their fingers together. 'I should've chosen another gift for Hope. Something she will surely like, maybe new painting materials, canvas. I'd be sure she liked those.'
'She'll like it Klaus, don't worry.'
The said gift was a family heirloom, part of the vast collection that the Mikaelsons had bought, commissioned (or stolen) over the years. It was a beautiful piece, with 12 emeralds, square cut all encircled by blood red rubies. The emeralds were put each separately in a canvas-like golden piece which were then clasped together into a beautiful choker. Holding onto the clasps were delicate threads with teardrop shaped diamonds at their ends. A magnificent piece worthy of the royal family, though the Mikaelsons could be considered as such.
'I've only seen Hope wear simple pieces so far, maybe this one won't befit her style. And I want her to truly love this gift.' It wasn't a matter of liking the gift, truly. But it was the manner of Hope like something from him.
'Klaus,' Hayley spoke calmly, soothing him in a way only she could. 'Over all the years, Hope has loved all the gifts you've brought her. I say it's the perfect piece for her sweet sixteen.'
Klaus nodded and gave Hayley's hand a squeeze. 'Thank you, little wolf. I reckon I go and give it to her now.'
'Now?' A line appeared between Hayley's brows.
'It's now or never Hayley. You gave me spirit, lets go before I lose it.'

A sudden knock disturbed Hope while she was blowdrying her hair with a battery operated blow drier. To a normal person's ears it would've gone unnoticed but not for her werewolf hearing. 'Come in,' she called. The door opened and both her parents came in, Hayley first then Klaus with both his hands back. 'Hi mom, hi dad. What brings you here?' They'd already had breakfast like twenty minutes ago, it was only 9:40 am, and they'd wished her a happy birthday. 'We wanted to give you something.' Hayley stated, then after a moment she added. 'Well, your dad mostly.'
Hope set the blow drier on her vanity and and clasped her on the back. 'Yes?' She looked at her father expectantly. 'I thought...I'd rather give your gift now' he stammered but pulled himself together when his daughter's face brightened. 'I really hope you'll like.' He pulled his arms forwards and presented Hope with a vintage jewellery box. 'Open it up.'
'Okay,' Hope giggled and reached towards it with one hand. 'Oh, wow, this is heavy. Almost dropped it.'

'You hold it Klaus, so Hope can open it.' Hayley suggested. Klaus took the box back and turned it so the opening was towards Hope. 'Even has a little key. You're not gonna give me a little hint before I open it?' Hope asked, smiling in anticipation.
'Okay, here I go,' she reached for the iron key when both her parents responded with "no". Hope opened it up and gasped. 'No way,' she looked at both her parents wide-eyed while her jaw dropped open. Sitting in the midst of a velvety cushion stood the exquisite necklace lay.
'Thank you, guys.' Hope raised her eyes, shining with tears. 'It's very beautiful.'
'You truly like it?' Klaus questioned and uncertainty touched his voice. Hope simply nodded and hugged both her parents. 'Thank you, I love it.'