17

"Do I look alright?" I ask Sarah as we walk up to the factory and I fiddle with my neck a chief

"You look pretty, Ester." Says Bessie with a bright smile.

"Thankyou Bess." I reply with the same smile. Bessie Chapman really is a lovely girl, I now think of her and Sarah like sisters, and although I never had any I know this is what I would like them to be like. Although they will never replace Enola. She will always be my best friend.

"Its so nice that you decided to start working at the matchstick factory as well. We need more girls like you." She comments. I smile hugging her small shoulders. "Thanks Bess."

We enter a small crowded rooms, lines entering the factory. A man stood in the middle shouting "Mouth" to everyone who walks past. Sarah told me about this. This is how they spot the disease caused by the matchsticks that is killing the girls. Though obviously the girls don't know that.

Sarah steps up Bessie behind her and they both get their mouths checked.

"Oy new girl name in the register." I step up to the counter and in the book I write my name but scrambled. Enola can solve anything and if she were to come looking for me I want to make sure she knows I was here.

'EREST OLYN'

We then walk into a large room filled of bubbling liquid and girl putting their hands in it to

"That's the Phosphorus." Sarah whispers to me a grim look on her face. As girls slide the matches along the comb and into the box.

"When shall we do it?" I whisper as we reach our station.

"Later when the guards are more relaxed and we have been working for a couple of hours." Sarah whispers back. I nod and stand at my station staring confused at the process.

Bessie laughs before showing me what to do.

"Put the matches on the comb." She instructs before picking up a handful of matches and smoothing them across her comb. "Slide them along." She says before using her two fingers on either side to slide them into her other hand. "Up into the box. Simple enough." She says. "Now you try."

I pick up a handful and slide them along the comb as Bessie and Sarah watch me carefully so they can help if I do something wrong. I put my fingers either side and slide them along before putting them in the box. Easy.

"Your a natural." Comments Sarah. "Allot of girls wouldn't be able to do that on their first day."

"I just copied what Bessie did, it was easy." I comment giving her a smile before continuing with our work.

***

A guy in a bowler hat walks around patrolling our work. Leaving the staircase completely free to climb. It is so easy it makes me believe no one has ever broken in.