Chapter 23: Flashback.

The love of her life shut the door on Yeji, she stared at the door. No. She's mistaken. It's not him, it can't be him. No. No. No. N-

"Yeji?", she turned around, her grandfather watched as her soul shatters at the sight of him.

"It's not true, right?", her jaw clenched as she spoke with the words coming out in distaste, hoping that he denies what Ryujin said.

His eyes soften at the tone, "Yeji..", he avoided eye contact.

"No. No you didn't.", her voice shakes, her body began filling with hatred.

"How.. How did you even get her out of the book?"

"ANSWER ME. YOU DIDN'T HURT HER.", the granddaughter yelled at him, taking a step forward. The lack of denial proving her girlfriend's words to be true.

"... I was the one that put her in the bo--"

"How could you?!", she spat out, interrupting him. Her body was shaking, allowing the anger consume her.

"Because I LOVED HER, I just.. I just wanted her to be mine.", his voice cracked at the last word. Tears filling the brims of his eyes. Yeji broke down with her back against the door, sobbing violently, everything she thought about him, every good memory she had with him; deception, a lie.

"She was in love with my best friend. At night, he always talked about her, how caring she was, her loyalty, her beauty, the way she'd always make him laugh no matter the situation. I fell in love with her but she'll never be mine. On the battlefield, he was shot. He was bleeding in my arms, I was going to save him but the only thought running through my mind was her. If he dies, I can finally be with her, she'll be mine.", Yeji looked up at him in disbelief, knowing what would happen as he recalled the story.

"I left him there, I turned my back on him. Left him to bleed out. Even though gunshots were firing, my name was the most deafening sound. A week after he died, I was appointed as a sergeant in a unit that was just sent to the battlefield and that's when I saw her. She was everything he described her to be. I was the one that told her that he died, she was devastated. She broke down in my arms, I held her knowing that now I have a chance with her.", Now he sat down, leaning on the wall across from Yeji. She moved away from him, repulsed by his existence.

"Over the course of months, I was there for her. Helping her through her grief, helping her train to become one of the best soldiers in her unit. When the time comes for her to be on the battlefield, I couldn't take my eyes off her. An enemy soldier jumped into the trench with a bayonet in hand, he was going to kill her. I couldn't let that happen, I ran to her, protecting her from him. I killed him but I got hurt in the process. I was sent to the hospital. Lying in that bed, she came to visit me, I didn't know what came over me but I confessed my feelings to her, only for it to be crushed by her rejection. She never came back.", he sighed knowing that he lost his granddaughter with his actions.

"I had a lot of time in my own thoughts, I've never been rejected before. It hurt me. The soldier beside me was on the verge of death so I went through his belongings and found a book. It was a book that allowed me to make anyone mine. My emotions controlled me, I found myself standing in front of her while she was asleep. I opened that book, I recited the spell. When I closed the book, she was gone. I flipped through the pages and found her in the pages.", Yeji stayed silent the whole time, glaring at him with burning hatred.

"I owned her, she was everything I ever wanted. I could have her whenever I desired, she is mine.", those words sparked a frenzy in the cat eyed girl's body.

"If you couldn't have her, no one can. How fucking despicable are you?! You took advantage of your best friend's death just to drown your own jealousy, you made her your possession; your property. You stripped her from living her life, you costed her everything. She was supposed to go be with her younger sister. She died in her hands."

"And I lived everyday in regret. What I did to her is unforgivable. I know I ruined her life. I carry that burden with every breath I take. And I am so sorry.

"No, you don't apologise to me. I can never look at you the same way again because when I look at you, I just see a monster. You're disgusting.", she gritted her teeth, standing up to leave.

"How long has she been out for?", he said calmly.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Once she pass the 1 year mark, she will die.", he informed the distressed girl.

"What?!", Yeji turned around.

"I always sent her back into the book. If she stays out too long, she'll cease to exist.", he struggled to stand up.

"..."

"Ryujin knows.", he said.

Yeji closed the door and ran to the car. The weight of the pain inside her was unbearable, her whole world was collapsing in itself. She hit the steering wheel hard hoping of the physical pain outweigh the internal pain. It's one thing that her grandfather not being the man that she though he was but the fact that Ryujin knew that she was going to die. She doesn't know. If she knew, she would've told me. Right?

Note:
So I didn't expect this story to get the attention it's getting but I'd like to thank you all for the views and votes. I really appreciate it.

I'm struggling with writing the ending at the moment, I'm figuring out whether to make it a happy ending or sad ending.

I hope you all have a great day or night!!

Thank you once again 🫶✨