Chapter 6 - The Geese

Yama uncomfortably watched the girl's blood in her arms circulating underneath her skin.

    The two walked alongside each other but (Y/N) tried to see if she was really able to control blood like her companion had said. At least when it came to the King.

     And sure enough, it didn't take much effort to simply move her blood around in her body. Where it pooled up in some places on her arms made her skin a little darker while other spots turned lighter from the lack of it. When she finally let go the blood returned to normal and her arms went back into their normal shade.

     Seeing her do that brought back a lot of memories for Yama. The King never used his abilities most of the time when Yama was under his control. Only ever using it to create those holds or to torture someone with their own blood. But he's never seen the tyrant manipulate their own blood like that. Physical strength was what he always preferred.

"Did he have a name?" (Y/N) asked, letting her arms fall to her side. "The King, I mean."

      Yama focused back on the road, readjusting the rucksack on his back. "He had many names. Tyrant, Dictator, Master, Demon God. Pick your favorite."

      For someone with those kinds of names, she's surprised she's never heard of this demon. Even if her community was as secluded as it was. "He didn't have a real name?"

"Zankoku." Yama finally answered and took of a puff of his cigarette. "Any demon who was around back then knows that name."

     It was (Y/N)'s turn to feel uncomfortable. That name screamed evil. She looked down at her hands again, wondering if that was who she was supposed to be. But the name. The way it started. It sounded familiar...

'Zan? Zan..?' She thought to herself. Her expression read clearly what she was trying to do and Yama caught it. "Did 'Zankoku' ring a bell?"

      After a couple more seconds of trying she gave up. Those first three letters were familiar but she can't remember if there was more. "It just... sounds like I heard it before."

     Yama didn't show it but he felt his nerves go up from that. The 'Z' marking on that Elitist's arm came back to him. He huffed roughly which made the girl look at him.

"This can't be happening." He muttered to himself but she heard. She didn't ask him what was wrong but it seems like he was getting just a little bit closer to some answers. Even if her memory kept failing her.

      Soon the two had managed to get away from the lakeside and finally go deeper inland. The small buildings and roads were now soon replaced by overgrown freeways that stretched over the small town but further off the buildings would disappear and be replaced by trees. (Y/N) stuck close to Yama but naturally, she found herself looking around at everything. She's not used to seeing places like this. Rarely had she ever left her community but the furthest she's ever been was close to the nearest town's edge.

      A couple of sheep managed to get out and escape one time and she was really good at herding them back up so she went along with a team of people to go retrieve them. Those were the only times she's ever really left when animals got out.

      Yama had finished his cigarette and flicked it away against a rusty car. He grabbed his notebook again and realized this was the furthest his notes would take him.

      He'll have to rely on his sense of direction again. As long as they kept north they shouldn't get too turned around.

     (Y/N) looked out into the town beneath the highway and noticed something small in the distance. She remembered to keep pace with Yama but started seeing the small thing grow bigger. And multiply. It was several of them now and they were growing closer.