Chapter 36 - The Robbery

Art by Snow Gao

———————————————————————————

    Yama walked up to the cots and crouched down to rummage through his bag for his journal.

     He's been with (O/N) for the last few hours discussing how exactly they were going to approach the island and make contact without any incidents happening.

      The plan was to track down where the island was and approach with a small group. If they were to see a bunch of huge vehicles rolling up to their doorstep, they wouldn't take that as a friendly welcome.

      Yama was only there to help with locating the island. He wasn't going anywhere near it himself. He would like to keep his tail and horns where they are.

      But in his notebook, he did keep a map of the riverfront of the city where the island is supposed to be. In case he ever miraculously ended up back in the city and needed a way to escape the barbaric humans, he'll be prepared.

      Now was as perfect time as any for the old piece of paper.

      The doctor pulled out his journal from his bag and opened an inside pocket to pull out the old map he kept. Sure enough, when he opened it, he read the name.

'Cambion Island'

      He placed the map into his pocket and went to get up but stopped when he heard a small breath.

      He turned his head and saw (Y/N) fast asleep in her cot. She laid on her stomach with her pillow hugged closely against her and a blanket only covering her lower legs because of the heat.

      Yama tried breaking his eyes away from her but it was difficult too.

      His jaw clenched as he forced himself up to go take the map back to (O/N). Even stopping himself from pushing a strand of her hair away from her face.

      As he returned to where his old friend, her husband, and others were discussing he handed the map to (O/N) and she thanked him before opening it up. Yama moved to the back of the group and leaned against some crates with his arms crossed. He was supposed to be paying attention to what they were saying... but he couldn't.

      He could imagine what his brother would say if he were here right now.

      Probably mock the hell out of him. Say he's gone soft. Became the biggest hypocrite ever. He can hear Akai's voice so clearly when it comes to his feelings that it was annoying again.

      Good thing (Y/N) will never get the chance to actually meet him.

      Why must she make him feel this way? How long have they known each other? Has to have been weeks now. Maybe a month? Maybe two? He's lost so much track of time getting involved with her.

       Trying to limit how much time they spend together, their interactions, intimate moments like what had happened earlier... it's almost impossible when she runs back to him. Puts in an effort to be closer to him.

       No matter how much he tries to get away, she keeps catching back up.

       Why can't she just stop? This thing that's forming between them, it's not supposed to happen.

       He can't be in love with her. And he can't let her feel the same way.

       He can't go through that pain again.

       Yama didn't realize how absorbed he was in his own mind until he felt a tap on his arm and looked down to meet (O/N)'s yellow eyes. She watched him in worry. His tail was beating against the crates and his foot was tapping rather quickly. No one seemed to notice him but her.