Flashes

🔊

  They say that before you die, your life flashes before your eyes.

  I've always dreaded that theory.

Luck In A Sense

   As I lie here in the mud and soggy blades of grass I fear lightning for the first time. Not because it might strike me. I fear it because it might trigger this "flash of life".

  Don't misunderstand me. It isn't death that I fear. Far, far from it.

  I'm not sure how I got here.

  I'm stuck.

  With shallow breath.

  Without feeling.

  Without sight.

  With clogged ears and muzzled sounds of rain thudding on and around my broken body in the middle of this dark wood.

  The flashes that do appear are bright behind my eyelids, yet their song lingers faintly in my flooded ears.

  The earthy smell is the only one available when I'm able to inhale even if it's short.

  The rain beats my beaten body-too weak to even shiver. Right here is where I wait for it,

  Death.

  My senses are gone, but I'm still here.

   Go on, Satan. Have at me. I urge.

  Conjuring thoughts is as difficult as seeing the stars right now, but humor is necessary for a situation like this, for it is the quickest bandage to any wound.

  Humor is the quickest bandage.

  To my surprise, he listens. Satan, I mean.

  I'm swept from the ground. Or maybe it was a chill that ran through my body?

  No, I feel a graceful hand, carrying me like I'm a damsel. Carrying me out of the woods that I was sure would drown me and bury me on its own.

  The Devil. He's so... sexy. His muscles feel amazing. If only I had the energy to open my eyes.

  My limbs slowly revived through quick and sharp pins and needles running through them.

  Suddenly the rain wasn't so quiet like blurred music notes. Instead, it began to smack me all over and thud harder on my bruises.

  Agh!

  Instinctively, my mouth opened for air but the rain overcame me.

  Something went right, and I could finally feel a pulse. A chance to escape. A chance to see him. Hades perhaps?

  When my eyes opened I turned my stiff neck so that my eyes could avoid the rain.

  I saw him.

  God.

  Endlessly dark eyes. Long black hair. A glowing pale expression of nothingness. A ripe jaw. A salacious man.

  I could cry. Could he truly think I deserve this? Or... am I not dead, and he's the grim reaper to be My Death?

  "God," my voice croaked. My throat disagreed roughly, but I wasn't done. "Kiss me!" I shouted.

  Worth a shot. Right?

  He didn't move otherwise from the long strides he was taking as he ran me out of the woods. Agile.

  Wait... My brain worked for a moment. The woods?

  Am I not dead?

  "Hey!" I forced myself out of his arms and landed on a rocky road with a tumble unable to support myself.

  Something pinched and pricked more than usual. I looked down at my legs and one was split open by a bone. It stuck out of place and scraped on the mucky gravel.

  I put it out of sight and out of mind.

  With a handful of warm, wet rocks, I threw it up at the...tall... attacker and crawled.

  And crawled.

  And crawled through oceans of puddles and mountains of rocks.

  It seemed like forever I was dragging myself away. I couldn't make out anything ahead of me except the seemingly endless road.

  Then, just as before, the rain started to hum softly as if I were hearing it from an inside window.

  My arms...

  I can't tell if I'm splashing around anymore.

  What's happening?

  I'm not sure if they're still moving but the blur in my eyes, barely opened, shows movement, much smoother than my former crawl.

  Death has taken me.

  But where to?

🔇