Needles

🔊

  In the opposite direction of our last mission, we arrived, after a week on foot and by car, at the Curtained Edge.

  Curtained Edge was just an unpopular nightclub used to disguise the true operation. As we slashed through the back of the club we met a man.

  A good-looking man named Peter. What a waste.

  "You've killed them all?" He swallowed. His gold ring rattled on his wine glass as he shook. He set it down on the desk he leaned cowardly on.

  Illumi wasn't going to answer the stupid question, so I did.

  "Yes, you must've known we were coming," I smiled, my old habit of making humor of such a situation.

  C'mon, it's fun sometimes.

  I stepped closer, my Illumi following close behind. "Please! You did such good work for us before! What is it you want!?" Peter stood with false courage.

  "I want to know where to go next. Who else there is to kill... besides the Dead Man's son," (the Dead Man is the one who ordered the hit on my parents.)

  He sighed, defeated, and started to trip over his words, spewing apologies for how useless he was.

  "Here!" He finished, offering his watch.

  "Our next stop is that bank the A.A.A. uses for funding," I rolled my eyes at the thin gold.

  I stepped aside for Illumi to have the honors. My sweet.

  With two needles pierced into Peter's temples, Illumi returned to me.

  "The bank is ju- Illumi?" I noticed something about him, something that I'd noticed before, but didn't think much of.

  "Yes?" His empty eyes stared down at me.

  "I felt something just now... your aura." I looked intently at his smooth crown.

  "I wasn't using my aura," he cocked his head to the side, looking for the joke.

  "Yes," I used gyo to inspect him while his zetsu closed his aura nodes. That's it. He's not normally using zetsu, now it's clear.

  Only his needles showed traces of nen.

  Needles forced into his clothes, hidden under his sleeves and his shoes... and

  "Your head," I gasped softly.

  He lifted his eyebrow. I touched my thumb to the start of his hairline.

  "You have a needle in your brain, Illumi!"

  Without question, he pierced his skull with his sharp nails and removed the needle as if he'd just realized it too.

  "Oh, my!" I staggered backward until I noticed his legs buckle. "Illumi!?"

  I caught him in my arms and ran out of the club, using a back emergency exit. His body was large compared to mine, he was slumped in my arms.

  Had he touched the wrong part of his brain? Could he be—no.

  I ran with him using my own zetsu to hide my presence in case anyone might've been making their way to the earlier fight at the club.

  I found a soft spot of grass and dirt away from the city at the start of the woods.

  "Illumi, wake up!" The moon was my only source of light, thank goodness it was full.

  His skin was pink even in the dim and his body was limp. It was unnatural to see him this way.

  And as if I had set off a bomb with my hand on his cheek, his aura exploded out and around him and through me bringing me close to death.

  I cringed and curled into a ball as his aura pierced my chest with such malice.

  He began to shake and his hips thrust as if he were...

  Agh! I held onto my chest as I shrouded myself with my own defenses.

  "Illumi," I breathed, trying to scream it. He was slowly taking my life with his power uncontained. His aura was stronger than I could imagine.

  He hissed through his teeth and returned my hand to his cheek as I lie beside him in a ball.

  Is he... cumming?

  He brought my hand to his chest and lowered it with every thrust he made into the air. This is the most discombobulating—

  He roared and I couldn't decipher the emotion he was lashing out. I couldn't tell if he was in pain.

  "Illumi," I whimpered. I didn't understand what was happening. I couldn't bare the thought that he might be in pain, but I was suffering myself. I could smell the blood in my nose and taste it on my tongue. My body wanted nothing but to rest.

  His aura spread through the night, rushing wind into the trees and blowing away the grass.

  I began to cry...

  I was afraid.

  "Illumi, what the fuck!?" My voice was raspy and weak as if I were sick.

  He's killing me. After all this time of dreaming of no other thing, I didn't want it. I didn't want to die!

  "Snap out of it!" I begged, my voice only getting worse.

  "Haaa!" He moaned and he was cumming again, pulling me by my arm to come closer to him while his aura worked the opposite way. This is so fucking weird!

  Reason left. Worry died as I felt I might not survive this.

  I crawled onto his chest, ignoring the pain of his raw power against me. My nen wasn't strong enough to protect me.

  If I am to die by some hand, let it be his.

  And just as I began to shed my defenses, he inhaled his aura back into its capsule.

  We both lie in the grass breathing heavily after our separate inexplicable experiences.

  The silence was like a boom that left a ringing in my ears, and it almost scared me as much as the wailing before.

  "Please tell me you're okay..." my voice shook, but I held onto him as if he were a cliff I were afraid to fall from.

  His chest rose.

  His chest fell.

  His chest rose.

  "I'm sorry," his chest fell.

🔇