Forever

I scrubbed myself in the bathroom, wanting to make this process a ceremony.

"You still have a favor to ask," he insisted as we stood near the bed now, door locked. Ha!

He was wrong though. I was out of favors. Out of luck.

"I don't," I sighed, ready to explain his miscalculation.

"One of them was upon my request," he was referring to his request to learn about emotions. He was right.

"Look at me, Illumi," I guided his chin. "Today has been the best one of my life. I have nothing more to ask of you."

"Ask for anything. Or I will give you nothing." He threatened.

"Oh my, you're being rash Illumi. You give me everything by being with me," I smiled.

He grabbed me close. Oh, why must he tempt me?

"Then I should leave," he stared at me.

I lifted my arms with him and we began to sway as my body shivered at his response.

"Please don't..." I mumbled.

"Then, out with it," he urged.

I looked down at his feet. I could tell they were ready for a dance, and that swaying wasn't the height of his skill.

"A dance," I shrugged. We're already here.

"A dance with the Devil," he mentioned.

I gasped. I never saw him as one to use an analogy. And one so accurate...

"What makes you say such a thing?" I wondered, seriously. We swayed over to the record player to start a song.

"You referred to me as God in our beginnings, now you expect me to kill you, is that right?" He shuffled through vinyl and put one onto the player.

"How did-." The music began.

🔊

"This is a beautiful song, I wasn't sure you listened to music," I said.

"I don't," he admitted.

Then it hit me as the lyrics came. He picked it based on its title.

My heart ran amuck.

He swept me into his arms and spun me off my heels in one perfect circle, keeping our eyes locked.

I smiled up at him, but he wasn't sure what to do with his face so it remained blank. God, he's handsome. Large eyes. Pointed chin. Flawless skin. Lucious hair. I twirled a strand.

"You're perfect," I sighed. That's all I wanted to know in this moment even if it only lasted one more second.

Every beat of the song made me anxious as it brought me closer to the unknown, but I swallowed it.

"Thank you," he said.

I set my head on his left chest and loosened his necktie.

"Thank you," I replied.

In our dance he was passionate. Something, I think, he wanted to show me in one way or another.

"You're right, though," I whispered into his collarbone.

"About what?" He wondered, pulling me closer to him, resting his cheek on my head.

He was being so romantic. I melted.

"I expect you to kill me tonight," I sighed so that it wouldn't hurt.

"Oh," he whispered.

He spun me out and pulled me back in, grabbing onto my hips.

"Oh!" He repeated, louder. Has he got an idea?

"What is it?" I smiled, ready to laugh.

"You won't caress me, because I'm going to kill you?" He guessed.

"Yes," I didn't want to hear it this way, but so be it. "Please, Illumi, just let me be happy in this hour,"

"One hour? Why not ask me to spare your life?" He asked.

I hadn't thought of that. My death seemed like the right end. The only end.

"You could become a butler for the family," he suggested. But anyone who knew anything about the Zoldycks knew that love between butler and master was forbidden. Punishable by death for the former.

"Is that your first joke?" I shook my head.

"No," he stepped back from me. And returned, suggesting a waltz. I agreed with a short bow.

His brow creased and he looked into my eyes... looking for my sword. "You're afraid," I inquired.

"Have you not thought of some way that we might have a chance together?" He's afraid I haven't thought of a happy ever after with him? He's afraid our love isn't mutual!?

I scoffed. Of course, I had imagined a happy ending. In my dreams day and night! But no. It was just that. A dream. Every time.

I looked at his offended scowl. I responded, "What? Like teens in an ancient romance? Our love isn't allowed. It shouldn't even be possible. We're lucky to have been able to feel such a thing. You would've never found that needle and I would've never faced my sorrow if things were right," I huffed.

Staring into his eyes as we now glided across the room. Our steps wrote the passion of our hearts.

"Why do you believe that?" His brows were in an unfamiliar bend. One of anger.

"You can't love a butler. You can't run away with me. You—we can't be together. Your loyalty is admirable and understandable. I cannot take it away from you if I wanted to. You'll kill me tonight, or you'll kill me upon my own payment." I suggested. Would it really come to me hiring him to kill me?

"One hour..." he huffed.

"Illumi, please don't misunderstand. If I lived past tonight, I'd only chase you to the ends of the earth to be with you," I cried.

"Forever?" He wondered.

Then the idea didn't sound so terrible...

I gasped, with a smile as we spun around.

"Forever," I promised.

🔇