Escape

🔊

  This time, it's painstakingly bright and there are beeps. The annoying beep of my heart monitor.

  Of course.

  I can feel it now. That's the problem. Everything hurts. It's no big deal... Just annoying is all.

  With my senses came my thoughts.

  The family. Had I killed them like I was supposed to? I remember being on a mission and...

  I'm an assassin, I must say.

  ...and I was sent to that house by the woods by an anonymous customer. Probably the A.A.A. Such a remote area. They definitely ambushed me again. This time I lost. I can't remember if they send the money though.

  I opened my eyes.

  "Oh my! You're up fast." She burst.

  Well, hello there.

  I sat up, ignoring the terrible, terrible lights and the terrible, terrible voice of the fine lady.

  "Hey! Are you alright!? Just sit back for a moment." The nurse rushed to my aid.

  This lady can't tell that I don't want to be here, can she?

  "I'm leaving," I said groggily.

  With my swift hand on her neck, she plopped down on my cast.

  Jesus.

  I shook her off and laid her down sweetly.

  Beautiful breasts.

  I need to find out if that mission was complete, they offered tons... I think.

  No one questioned my escape with two crutches. Lucky me.

🔇

  Outside it was warm. It was hot. Broiling. I recognized the street immediately. I'm still in the area. North of here is the woods.

  It wasn't a long journey on foot, and I only had a blue gown and two sticks up my armpits, so nothing left to lose eh?

  Everything is so bright and loud and itchy and hot and sweaty and... And there it is.

  I entered the house and immediately regretted having a sense of smell.

  Three rotting bodies of a family.

  Very funny... the irony my job takes on me... But this wasn't my doing.

   I don't use needles.

  I plucked one from the head of the father. I threw it to the side.

  Maybe the A.A.A. really did this to me? I looked down at my leg in a cast.

  The A.A.A. is the Assassin Annihilation Association. It's one of those things that isn't very formal. It's more like a movement for people who detest assassin work. The irony is that they're assassins. Assassins for assassins.

  Bleh.

  Anyway. Although it's a movement, they sort of have their own unofficial government. So there are a few locations I can attack that'll severely weaken their position.

  I feel like our job as assassins is to fight against these people to make our own statements; it's impossible to stop us.

  But really I don't care about any of it much... in fact, I can't care about it. If I were to try my head would start to throb and that... that thing will come out of hiding...

  I shuddered.

  My work was finished for me here? Off to the bank then! I better have some sort of deposit or else I'm coming straight f—.

  I blinked roughly as I returned to the porch. The flash of the sun took me back.

  My Death.

  My heart beat roughly.

  I remember him... Dull and bright. Dark and light. A silent gaze and...

  And... And a...

  A...

  Loud...

  Presen...ce...

  Heat.

  Before my head hit the grass, barely missing the concrete, it showed me his pale, emotionless face,

  God.