𝟎𝟒. suspect list

chapter 4, suspect list !
-bqnksiie

"OKAY NERDS, LISTEN up!" Mindy yelled, the group sitting in a circle. August picked the skin around her nails while Mindy talked.

"As terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I get a chance to redeem myself for not calling the killers last time"

"Seriously Mindy?" August scolded. Even though August wasn't really mad, she still scolded Mindy for making some sort of joke out of it.

"Sorry August." Mindy quickly apologized. "The way I see it, someone is out to make a sequel to the requel."

Everyone shared confused looks, Anika asking the question that everyone else wanted to ask. "Um, what's a requel?"

Mindy turned her head to look at the girl with a smile. "You're beautiful, sweetie. Let's hold questions to the end."

"Stab one took place in woodsboro." Sam mentioned, looking at Mindy.

"Then Stab two took place in college." August said, frowning. She felt Ethan's arm snake around her waist and pull her closer to him, making the blondie smile.

"So, we think the killer is trying to copy the movies?" Tara questioned, glancing over to Chad.

Mindy nods her head, thinking. "That is one possibility. Heroes now in college; check. Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list and/or body count; check, check and check."

August knew where this conversation was going. Mindy was going through her suspect list, which means Quinn, Ethan and Anika were on it.

"But it can't just be about stab two." Mindy shakes her head.

"Why not?" Tara asked.

"It would make sense if this were just a sequel, but we're not in a sequel because nobody just makes sequels anymore." The girl explained.

Mindy continued to think while she had her arms crossed. Everyone went silence so the tall girl can think.

"We're in a franchise!" Mindy finally spoke. Everyone gave her a blank stare as Tara and August looked over at each other with the same confused expression. "There are certain rules for a continuing franchise."

"Of course there is."

"Rule number one: everything is bigger than lady time. Bigger budget, bigger cast, bigger body count, longer chases, shootouts, beheadings. You gotta top what came before to keep people coming back."

"Beheadings?" Chad asked his twin sister, furrowed eyebrows.

"Beheading." Mindy nods her head. "Rule number two: whatever happened last time, expect the opposite. Franchises only survive by subverting expectations."

"And rule number three: no one is safe. Legacy characters? Cannon fodder at this point. Usually brought back only to be killed off in some cheap bit of nostalgia."

"It's not looking too good for Gale and Kirby." August sighed, shaking her head.

"And that's not even the worst part."