Running your fingers through his hair

Swish 

You were doing it again. 

He noticed immediately, but he didn't show it. You'd been leaning against his chair—it eventually evolved to leaning against his shoulder—for a few minutes now as you overlooked him as he finished his work. 

And now you were brushing your fingers through his hair...  

Based off his prior observations, you never quite noticed you were doing it. Just a simple, subconscious display of affection... He'd never admit to you just how much he liked it—how much he loved it even. 

You never seemed to realize when you'd start, but he'd notice the exact moment every time. 

He kept his face stoic, and he continued to review his documents as usual, but damn if his concentration wasn't focused on your hands. He wasn't usually one for human contact, but for some reason, this just felt so different. Maybe it was the way it reminded him of mum petting his hair, or the way one would console a child, that just brought him to a more relaxed state of mind. 

But he knew he had to work, so he only allowed himself to indulge for a minute or two before he refocused his concentration on the paperwork before him. Your fingers were still leisurely rubbing at his head, coursing through strands of hair, and he just remained. 

He enjoyed days like this. Ones where he could work in peace—ones where you weren't bothering him—yet relax at the same time. Days where he could still spend quality time with you all the while tending to his responsibilities. 

If only you could keep doing this forever...