Forty-one (R)

Lizzy McAlpine - Ceilings

~

"SLAPJACK!" I YELL, smacking my hand on the Jack of Spades card with a lot more force than necessary.

Iris groans loudly. "I didn't know you'd pick up on this so fast. It's almost as if you're a natural at cards."

"Call me Pablo Escobar!" I yell even louder, high on the effect of winning this criminal-looking lady and ignoring the stupid comment I made about Pablo Escobar who probably knew zilch about card games. I grab all the cards under my palm, adding them to my fast-growing pile in my other hand.

"Pablo who...yunno what? Whatever." She breathes. "Let's see how Pablo you are when we play Blackjack." Iris mocks me.

"No...no. I didn't understand shit when you were explaining, plus I don't have any money to lose to you." I grin. "We can bet on this however."

Mr. Ash's friend here seems to love card games and betting a lot. It's like they're her second nature because immediately I asked what we could do for fun, she whipped out a pile of cards from her leather pants.

She came in yesterday evening when I was all alone in my room and almost going insane with boredom—there's nothing much to do here now that I'm no longer a maid here.

She said she wanted—even though she looked like she'd rather be anywhere else—to keep me company. I wondered how someone I barely knew would keep me company, but she turned out to be really fun and nice. Although she was doing most of the talking, I kind of enjoyed her stay yesterday.

I don't know why, but I think Mr. Ash told her to stay with me because she's been here since yesterday. She even slept here...on one of the chaises. I don't want to believe me though, because doing so will soften my hate resolve towards him even more. And I don't want that to happen; especially not after what happened yesterday in his office upstairs.

"Normally, I'd agree. But you're a pro at Slapjack, so no." She scowls at me. "You know what? I'm done. Give me my cards." She harrumphs, then leans across the table to grab all the cards - including my fast-growing pile. She legit snatches them from me.

Jerk.

"It's not fair, Iris." I grumble. "And I was finally beginning to think you were fun."

She sighs. "Let's have fun doing something else, Ina. I hate losing to you."

I snap my head to her, thinning my eyes to slits. "What else can we do?"