Fifty-four

Anne-Marie - Breathing

~

"DO YOU REMEMBER HOW Madea wanted that chick's husband from Diary Of A Mad Black Woman to grovel for her?" Nessa asks and all the girls immediately begin to laugh.

"Yeah, right?" Amara continues to hype her partner-in-crime. "She wrote the man a bill on her calculator, and I think his bill was six trillion dollars."

"So you're telling Alaina to bill him six trillion dollars?" Jade's eyes widen and I know she's about to spill a secret. Bitch can hardly keep her mouth shut. "Have you seen her wardrobe?!" She squeals, earning raised eyebrows from Oma and Nessa; especially Oma. "I'm sure he's spent similar, if not more..."

"Jade!" I shout her name, making them all to glare at me in shock.

"Oh em gee, Alaina." Amara winces. "Volume. Granny's asleep."

"Sorry, boo." I whisper in apology to her.

"O-oh." Jade stutters in response to my previous exclamation. "Six trillion dollars...yay...whatever." She mutters unenthusiastically and rolls her eyes.

"Alaina, dear, show us your wardrobe." Nessa narrows her eyes at me fractionally.

"Later." I thin my eyes at Jade, internally cursing at her with all the curse words under the sun. "Why are we talking about Madea again?" I try to distract them.

"We're not talking about Madea," Amara speaks up, "we're talking about the six trillion dollars Davian owes you for being such a dick to you."

"Oh yeahhhhhh." Sandra drawls, still attempting to tie her hijab properly like she's been at for about one hour now. Apparently, she's preparing for Egypt because Amir invited her over. I don't know who the fuck told her she has to learn how to tie a hijab, but she took it personal. "He's rich, isn't he? If he likes you so badly, he'll pay up."

If money was all I needed to forgive Davian, I'd have done so after the gifts-haul fiasco. "I gotta go guys." I tell them, sighing and moving to hang up.

"Are you okay, boo?" Jade asks abruptly.

Amara is looking away from her camera and talking to someone behind her, probably her grandmother, Sandra is getting frustrated with her scarf, while Nessa and Oma are staring at me worriedly.

"I'm okay." I heave. "I just...I think I need a nap or something."

"Hmm..." Nessa hums doubtingly.

"Let's leave her to sleep, Ness." Amara says.

"Fucking come back already, Alaina." Nessa begs me the only way she knows how to. "I'm beginning to think you relocated to Madagascar or something."