Scene 26- Car Ride Home

The car ride home conversations were always initiated by the boys. They'd make jokes and judge things that happened about where they just were.

Beau starts off with, "What the hell was that ribbon thing?"

Laura scoffs and rolls her eyes, "It's called a maypole graduation. It's a tradition for Roman Catholic high schools but they did a smaller one for the elementary school."

Jackson squinted his eyes with skepticism, "But we're methodist...christians."

Laura defends her and her husband's choice, "I know, I know. But this school was good for Juliette in every other way."

Gavin laughs, "Because Juliette is boy crazy?"

Juliette frowns and hits her brother's leg, "I am not boy crazy!"

She then realized that she had yet again acted immaturely. She regretted her decision and immediately apologized before Gavin hurt her back way worse,

"I'm sorry Gav, I'm just not crazy about boys. I just liked having friends."

Most of them burst out laughing.

Beau says exasperated, "You call kissing our cousin on the lips being friends?!"

The boys all laugh harder now. Juliette's face turned red and she started to feel sad.

John said while he was driving, "She was like four give her a break."

Gavin adds, "And then the next year you got sent to an all girls school."

Beau laughs, "Yeah you guys better watch out. She'll try and have a boyfriend two days into public school."

Juliette frowns, "So what if I do?"

John and Laura both show their disapproval at the same time.

John says to Juliette looking through the rear view mirror,

"Don't think for a second you're allowed to date boys, little girl."

Juliette decided to be smart, "Oh so it's okay if I date girls then? Good to know."

John and Laura gasp. And the boys silently giggle. They actually did find that funny. Their parents weren't homophobic towards other people per say, but they very clearly would be disappointed if their kids were gay.

Laura lightly scolds Juliette, "You stop talking like that this instant."

Juliette quickly quieted down.

The rest of the car ride home was relatively quiet.