Scene 59- Breaking the Rules

JD drove us home a little while later. I begged him to let me stay up front. I loved the feeling of having the window down and putting my hand out to feel the wind. He let me on the highway, but he pulled over before we got into our neighborhood and told me to get in the backseat.

"I don't want to." I said defiantly, but I wasn't whining.

He gives me an annoyed look.

"Juju please. Mom and Dad could kill both of us."

"They're not even going to see us. Who cares." I said rolling my eyes.

"Juliette." He said seriously.

Uh oh.

"You're not even supposed to sit in the front. I let you do it on the way back even when there was other cars that could have hit us. Get in the back now before you piss me off."

I gulped. I didn't want to make JD mad. He was really important to me.

I felt like I had my tail between my legs as I pushed open the car door and jumped down from the raised blue truck.

~~~

When we arrived home after sitting in silence JD turned the car off.

"I'm sorry for being a brat. I still had fun." I hoped the apology was good enough for him to forgive me. 

He smiled and turned back to face me.

"You weren't being a brat. I get it. Just let me give you some advice?" He asked like it was a question.

I just nodded in confusion.

"When you're breaking the rules, it's best you listen to me until you get good at breaking the rules and not getting caught." He said winking at me.

I smiled big.

"Breaking the rules?"

That wasn't ever something he talked to me about. None of my brothers let me do that. They'd always tell my parents, and so I wouldn't do it often.

"Shhh" He says putting a finger over his lips and begins getting out of the car.

Things really started to feel normal again. Even better than normal. A new type of friendship between me and my brother.

~~~

I still hadn't gotten over the events that unfolded with my parents last night. As I walked in to the kitchen through the garage door, I saw my Mom cooking and my Daddy sitting at the kitchen table. Newspaper in hand because he still liked it that way.

"Where have you two been?" He looked up asking with a suspicious undertone.

I looked up at JD unsure of what to say.

"We got breakfast, chill." He said grabbing a water from the fridge.

"Watch the attitude." My father said. He didn't seem upset though.

My mom changed the subject, "Are you still wanting to go shopping with your father today?"

I nodded with a big smile on my face.

"Come here princess." My Daddy said motioning me to sit on his lap.

I ran over and he helped me up onto his chair. I couldn't resist new things and presents for me. I also couldn't resist my Dad for too long. I could never hold a grudge with him too well.

He played with my hair and rubbed the outside of my thigh, "What would you like to get? Necklace, earrings?"

I thought for a second and then instantly knew, "I want a tennis bracelet."

JD and my mother started laughing.

"What?" I said defensively. I didn't like feeling laughed at. I was always being laughed at.

My Daddy said, "Those are pretty expensive, baby. They're a lot of responsibility."

I tried to convince him. I turned to him more,

"I can do it! I'll be so careful!"

My mom intervenes, "No Juliette. Maybe when you're older."

I got angry. She wasn't a part of this conversation. It wasn't even her money. I stayed strong in my last hope. I gave my Daddy the puppy dog eyes and pouting lip. The same pouting lip that I use when I pretend I'm asleep.

"Hey, hey" My Daddy laughs and smiles.

He points a finger at me, "No puppy dog eyes."

I instantly frown.

"Tell you what? I'll see about getting you a tennis bracelet when you're... sixteen." He looks at me for approval.

I roll my eyes and accept.

He then hugs me and kisses the top of my head.

Short update, but I just need to get through these little growing pains before the next big chapter. Thanks for the support.