9- moving on

juliette 

juliette 

present february 2022; narrative

For a while after Paige and I's almost kiss it was weird. Stuff between us felt different and forced but eventually we went back to normal and our friendship continued. I took that as the biggest sign that Paige only saw me as a friend. She never mentioned the moment and she seemed like she just wanted to forget about it. It hurt when I first realized but I came to terms with it. If Paige didn't like me then I wasn't going to spend my time trying to make her.

It was valentine's day in 4 days and to say I wasn't excited was an understatement. I was hoping by this year I would have someone to spend it with but yet again I didn't. I would probably spend the day with Rose, watching cheesy rom-coms and stuffing our faces with chocolate.

I just got out of my last class of the day, very ready to go home, maybe start a new show since there wasn't practice until Jay started calling. Lately we've been talking more. He was a nice guy, also a very hot one but I never paid attention since I was so focused on Paige.

"Yo J, you busy?" He asked as soon as I picked up.

"No, I just finished class, what's up?" I wondered, very confused.

"Come over." He said. Not even asked but just said.

There goes my plans of being a couch potato for the rest of the night.

"I'll be there in 10." I replied, hanging up and getting in my car. I had never hung out with Jay alone. We hung out at parties or at school but afterwards we had completely separate lives.

I didn't mind Jay. He made it very clear he had a thing for me but after I rejected him 3 times he became a good friend. Most of the girls at school were even jealous and mad I had rejected Jay but I never even glanced at Jay a second time when Paige was in the room.

I got to his place in 10 like I said and let myself in. Jay lived with his friend but basically alone since his friend was never there, usually with his girlfriend.

"J you're here." He said walking over to me and wrapping his arms around my head, basically killing me.

"Don't get too excited, might not come back." I smirked, cocking an eyebrow at him and he just laughed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and dragging me to his couch. Now that I thought about it, him and Paige had a lot of the same mannerisms. They were both always wrapping their arms around the people closest to them, the hand on my lower back to guide me somewhere. They both bite their bottom lip subconsciously when they were focused and nervous and they both had that confidence and cockiness that just makes you laugh.

At school people compared Jay and Paige, saying they were like the same person on and off the court and now I was really starting to see why.

"So why'd you drag me all the way here?" I asked, sitting next to him as his arm was now on the back of the couch behind me.

"Well Mick isn't home like usual and I was bored so I called you." He admitted, shrugging.

"Nice to know you're thinking about me." I laughed, leaning into his shoulder without even noticing. I craved physical touch and did it almost subconsciously with everyone.

"Always am." He joked. "So how 'bout we go to the skatepark and get ice cream?" He asked and I lifted my head to look at him. He had a hopeful smile on his face and I just nodded, giving in. He jumped up, grabbing me and dragging us to the car before I could even tie my shoes.

The skatepark was off campus but not too far and Jay was always there. It was his passion, besides basketball obviously. I on the other hand knew nothing about it, just as clueless about skating as I was to basketball before Paige taught me.

The car ride was silent, just the music softly playing in the background until we got there. It wasn't packed but there was a good amount of people skating around and doing tricks. Jay got his skateboard before we got out of the car and walked towards the bowls where most of the other people were.

"You're crazy if you think I'm going down there." I said, pointing towards the huge bowl.

"I figured." He laughed and started doing his own tricks.

After a while we went over to flat ground to 'teach me' which was mostly him holding me upright so I didn't break my nose. He held my hands as the board moved and I struggled to stay on it.

Finally after all my struggles he brought up ice cream. The sun had set so now it was dark out and the skatepark was basically empty. We drove to an ice cream place on the way back to the dorms and stopped to eat our ice cream in the shop.

I got cookie dough and Jay got the most boring blandest flavor out there, Vanilla. We just sat there enjoying our ice cream and laughing about how many times I fell on my ass.

I realized that I actually really like being around Jay. He was always positive and encouraging and just a fun person to be around.

We drove back to the dorms, him walking me to mine and stopping outside my door.

"I had a good time today J." He said, looking down at me as I leaned against the door.

"Me too, we should do it more often." I agreed, making him smile.

"I'll see you around?" He questioned and I just nodded. He started walking away as I turned to unlock the door. "Wait, Jules?" He stopped me. I turned around and saw him halfway across the hall.

"I know it's a long shot but give me one date. Afterwards if you're completely not interested I'll leave it alone." He said, looking at me hopefully.

I mean Jay was a nice guy. He was funny, smart, athletic and hot. Everything I looked for and yet I never seemed to notice. And maybe this will help me get over Paige, since her feelings towards me are strictly platonic and she's made that very clear.

"Sure." I replied laughing and he just smiled, turning back and walking into the elevator.

I walked into the room, seeing Rose in the kitchen looking over a bottle of juice.

"I'm going on a date with Jay." I said before she even noticed my presence. She whipped around with her jaw dropped.

"Wait, what about Paige?" She asked, looking at me sadly. Rose knew how much I liked Paige but if I knew it was never gonna happen I couldn't just dwell on it. I liked Paige but maybe it's time to get over it.

"It's just not meant to happen." I said, looking down at the ground before walking into my bedroom.