12- good luck charm

juliette 

juliette 

present; narrative

They weren't lying when they said the first few weeks of a relationship feel like heaven. Paige was all I could think, or talk about. I always wanted to be around her and when I wasn't I was looking at the pictures I'd taken of her. We couldn't get enough of each other.

We finally told the team which led to them all jumping on us and screaming loud enough for Geno to barge in, which led to him finding out and joining in on the excitement.

It was March so there were games almost everyday. I'm not really sure why, it was my job to go to the games not to understand them so I just went along, took pictures and cheered when I was supposed to. Even though one time I got mixed up and cheered for the other team which caused the whole bench and Paige to look at me with their eyebrows furrowed and mouths wide open.

Today they were playing Villanova which would make them the winners of the big east tournament if they won. Then they would move on to the NCAA Tournament and hopefully win that. The girls had been crushing it lately so I completely believed they would win today and the tournament but I could feel the nerves off them all as we walked onto the court. They all went to change and I got set up with my camera since today would be a very important day to get pictures.

They all got out, shooting around and calming their nerves. The other team doing the same until the sections started to fill with excited family members or students and they all went back to the locker room.

"She's gonna do great, it's Paige." Geno comforted, putting a hand on my shoulder when he noticed my leg bouncing up and down.

I knew Paige and the whole team were gonna do great but I couldn't help but think of the worst outcome, or how I would even begin to comfort them if they lost. I try to be optimistic but I can't help but be anxious.

The girls from both teams got called out and the game started fast. Aaliyah was killing it, completely locked in and in the zone. When Paige was on the court I kept my eyes on her, even when she didn't have the ball. The ball was passed to Paige and she started running down the court but a girl from the other team grabbed her arm harshly which caused Paige to fall and the ball to role out of her hands.

Me, Geno and the girls on the bench all stood up, either worried or mad at what just happened to Paige, I mean I didn't know much about basketball but I knew that was a foul. The camera's focused on Paige getting up with the help of her teammates and being rewarded a free throw.

She walked up to the free throw line and I noticed she had something written on the inside of her finger from the screens focusing on her shot. I was definitely gonna have to ask her about that later. Her shot went in perfectly and the game continued like normal.

Uconn beat Villanova 70-40 which caused the girls to burst out into screams or tears when the buzzer rang. Confetti shot around them and the girls on the bench ran over to the court. Paige ran over to me, hugging me and lifting her up. When she pulled away her smile was the biggest I'd ever seen. She reached her hand out to put on my cheek but stopped herself when she realized we were surrounded by people and cameras.

The team celebrated, lifting the trophy in the air and taking pictures with it. There were cameras and interviewers waiting to talk to the girls and it took almost 2 hours to leave the arena, thankfully it was a home game. The girls changed and Paige was the first one to excitedly run out of the locker room, immediately kissing me in the now empty arena.

"You guys were amazing." I grabbed her hand, looking at the word between her fingers. She saw what I was trying to do and attempted to pull her hand away, she succeeded. "C'mon please." I begged and she groaned, passing me her hand and looking away. I brought her hand close to my face and read 'Jules' on her finger.

"What is this?" I smiled and she just looked away embarrassed. I tugged the bottom of her shirt and she finally looked at me.

"It's like having a good luck charm with me while I play, it's stupid I know." She explained and looked away again.

I grabbed the bottom of her chin lightly, getting her to look at me again. "It's not stupid Paige, it's perfect." I smiled and she relaxed, putting her arms around my waist and resting her head on top of mine.

I tried to stop the butterflies that swarmed in my stomach knowing my name was written on her hand as good luck. She brought a piece of me into the sport she was amazing at, her true passion.

She leaned down kissing me again. "I'll never get tired of doing that."

She rested our foreheads together until the rest of the girls walked out and we got on the bus. Paige fell asleep on my shoulder almost immediately, holding on to my arm like it was going to disappear.

What a softie she was.

Author's Note

super short filler chapter

i love them sm