17- always by your side

juliette 

juliette 

present august 2022; narrative

We spent a little over a week with Paige's family before we headed back to Connecticut. I didn't really know why we were going back much earlier then we were supposed to but I just went along, assuming Paige had good reason for us going back to school at the start of August instead of mid August like we'd originally planned.

I really enjoyed being with her family. They made me feel as if I was a part of it. You could see the love they had for each other and it was shown to everyone around them. Honestly it was the perfect energy to be around after my mess of a family.

When we got back to Connecticut me and Rose had decided last year to get an apartment close to campus. I got there and started to set up my stuff since Rose wouldn't be back until the school year actually started. The apartment felt so bare without Rose's upbeat energy and all pink decorations but soon enough she would be here and I would be yearning for the peace and quiet again. Paige was still living with Azzi on campus with most of the other athletes but it was only about a 5 minute drive to the new apartment.

A knock at the door pulled me out of my decorating. I rushed over to open the door finding Paige, Azzi, Ice, Amari and Lou on the other side. They welcomed themselves into the apartment and looked around. Lou pulled me into a side hug and kept her arm around my shoulder.

Out of all the girls I didn't talk as much with Lou but I still loved her and admired her game. I made it a goal this year to really get to know her since it was her senior year.

"This is tight Jules." Ice exclaimed, already looking in the fridge only to be disappointed that it was empty. "Okay you definitely need to go shopping."

They all sat down on my bed, barely fitting all of them because Paige was laying on it sprawled out completely. Azzi sat on her legs which caused her to move with a very unhappy look.

"As much as I love you guys, why the random visit?" I asked. It was a good question. I assumed they were already doing workouts and practices to prepare for the season. It wasn't odd for them to come visit me but five of them just felt suspicious.

"We're gonna do a pickup game at the center, you wanna join?" Azzi replied. All of them looked up at me with puppy dog eyes. There was no reason for me to be there. I didn't need to take pictures or anything so they truly just wanted me around for no reason. I smiled at them, nodding my head. How could I say no to five of my favorite girls sitting in front of me.

Ice shot up, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and leading me out the door. The rest of the girls followed before I was dragged to my own car and all of the girls except Paige got in.

"I have to pick up the rest of the girls, I'll meet you there." She said, noticing my confused face when she didn't get in. I pulled out, driving to the center as Paige went opposite, back to the dorms.